Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, May 18, 2013, Captain Spike and his first mate, Slagkick, discuss bad games in honor of the upcoming 30th anniversary of the video game market crash.
Disclaimer: The Podcast Pirates were drinking during this episode. You have been forewarned.
– Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX is due out September 10 for NA and September 13 for EU.
– A “bug” in Tomodachi Collection: New Life allows male Miis to have same-sex romances…
– …but Nintendo patched it out.
– Devil Survivor 2: Break Record is being pushed back to Fall 2013.
– Ouya has secured $15 million in additional funding from various companies.
– The retail launch for Ouya has been delayed to June 25 due to a controller defect.
– Ace Attorney 5 will be released in the west this fall exclusively as a digital download, renamed Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies.
– The Batgirl DLC for Injustice: Gods Among Us will be Barbara Gordon.
– Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate has been confirmed as a fall release for PS3 and 360.
– Injustice has joined the EVO 2013 lineup, and the DLC will be coming to Wii U this summer.
– Nvidia Shield will launch this June for $350.
– RIFT is going free to play.
– Best Buy is taking pre-orders for the super couture Animal Crossing 3DS XL.
– Puzzle & Dragons Z has been confirmed for a North American release.
– Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection comes out on July 11 in the US.
– The Wonderful 101 will be released in Europe on August 23 and in North America on September 15.
– Super Luigi U will arrive as DLC on June 20 for $19.99, with a limited edition standalone retail package available on August 25 for $29.99.
– Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons will be discounted for the first three weeks on 3DS eShop.
– Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Winter Games is coming to Wii U.
– More Game Gear titles are on their way to 3DS Virtual Console.
– Yakuza 1 & 2 HD has been announced for Wii U in Japan.
– Sonic: Lost Worlds will be the first in a three-game partnership between Sega and Nintendo, launching exclusively for 3DS and Wii U.
– Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is coming to PC.
– Rebuild of Evangelion characters will be available to Japanese Puzzle & Dragons players for a limited time.
– Plants vs. Zombies 2 sprouts this July!
– The Sims 4 is coming to PC and Mac in 2014.
– Indie fighting game Air Dash Online will take inspiration from Super Smash Bros. Melee.
– GameStop advertised Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move as an exclusive title.
– PAC-MAN and the Ghostly Adventures will be released for PS3, 360, Wii U, and 3DS this fall.
– Konami will be livestreaming their pre-E3 press conference on June 6.
– Japan is getting another limited edition super couture 3DS XL, this one inspired by the colors of Eevee.
– Google Play has launched gaming services for mobile, social, and cloud gaming.
– Gran Turismo 6 has been officially announced for a holiday release.
– Scribblenauts Unmasked will feature thousands of DC characters.
– Resident Evil: Revelations will have three unlockable costumes for its console releases.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Despite a “deteriorated” games sector, Sony has made its first net profit in five years.
– Despite missing the sales target for Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Namco Bandai has reported a rise in year-end revenues.
– World of Warcraft has lost 1.3 million subscribers since February.
– Patrice Désilets, creator of Assassin’s Creed, has been fired from Ubisoft.
– Former THQ Montreal producer Jean-François Boivin has also been let go from Ubisoft.
– Silicon Knights dramatically scales down as it fights Epic Games.
– After their financial results reveal a net decrease, Konami teases a push towards Metal Gear content and mobile gaming.
– TimeGate, the studio behind Aliens: Colonial Marines, laid off its staff.
As the 30th anniversary of the video game market crash draws near, Captain Spike and Slagkick take a look at what the Japanese call kusoge (糞ゲー), which literally means “shit games.” The Podcast Pirates share “The (Sorta) Good, The (Really Really) Bad, and The (Just Absolutely) Ugly” of terrible games – their guilty pleasures, the real stinkers, and the ones that are so absolutely atrocious that they belong in a landfill with a million copies of E.T.
RUMOUR HAS IT
– The Mysterious Murasame Castle seems to finally be making its way out of Japan, most likely as a Virtual Console import, after an Australian rating popped up.
– An Australian rating for Crash ‘n the Boys: Street Challenge suggests that the classic entry in the Kunio-kun franchise will get a Wii U Virtual Console release.
Slagkick talks about putting more time into Persona 4. Captain Spike discusses his time with Mega Man Zero 2, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, and the open beta of Marvel Heroes.
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: Gaming’s new frontier: Cancer, depression, suicide (Polygon)
Polygon continuously puts out great features, and this one focuses on some of the more serious issues being tackled in gaming.
SMASH: All Your Nintendo Let’s Plays Are Belong To Nintendo? (Gamasutra)
This great Gamasutra article looks at Nintendo’s recent controversial decision to collect ad revenue from Let’s Play videos of their recent game, and it examines the issue from all angles.
The Question of the Week was:
“This week: a look at the occasionally amusing world of bad games. What objectively bad game do you love? What’s the worst game you’ve played?”
Thanks to Conrad H. from California and Wicked from Nerdgasm Network for their answers!
Rene and Jeremy from Qoopa Klub also drop the Pirates a line!
FAREWELL AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Reading is Fundamental, our seasonal side project with Rob Roberts where we dish on RuPaul’s Drag Race
– NPCs Only, Space Pirate Ben and Sea Wolf Jason’s podcast about pen and paper gaming from the GM/DM perspective
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– Theme music by Zelda Reorchestrated