Game Buoy Podcast Episode 24 – Game Buoy’s First Annual Anniversary Celebration Spectacular Spectacular!
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most positively should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, March 30, 2013, Captain Spike and his first mate, Slagkick, celebrate Game Buoy’s First Annual Anniversary Celebration Spectacular Spectacular! (And they also take a look at ten of their favorite April Fools’ Day jokes in the gaming world.)
Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick had some fun recording their April Fools’ Day joke, TingleCast, for your enjoyment! Because Game Buoy launched at the beginning of April last year, the Podcast Pirates celebrate their first anniversary by sharing ten of their favorite April Fool’s Day jokes in the history of gaming. Listen to hear their thoughts on the following (in no particular order):
- Simon Belmont in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (EGM, 1991)
- Sheng Long trick for Street Fighter II (EGM, 1992)
- “All Bonds” cheat in GoldenEye 007 (EGM, 1998)
- Super Smash Bros. Melee‘s “Unlock Sonic and Tails” (EGM, 2002)
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker with updated “realistic” Graphics (EGM 2005)
- Mushroom Kingdom Hearts (EGM, 2007)
- Pokémon Kart (1UP, 2010)
- Live Action Zelda Movie (IGN, 2008)
- Luigi Playable In Super Mario 64 (Super Mario 128 Central, 2000)
Wait…that is only nine…what is #10?!?! Listen to the episode to find out!
Captain Spike and Slagkick share their love for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and BioShock Infinite. Then, Slagkick talks about spending time with Rock Band Blitz, HarmoKnight, and Kersploosh!
SMASH OR TRASH
In this revamped version of a classic Game Buoy segment, Captain Spike and Slagkick share a great gaming article (Smash) and a poor gaming article (Trash) to highlight the best and worst of gaming journalism.
SMASH: Darkstalkers Resurrection: Why Some Things Shouldn’t Stay Dead (Siliconera)
Yusouf from Siliconera writes a nice review (without relying on giving it a score or a grade) that highlights the near-perfect arcade ports of two of Capcom’s classic fighters.
TRASH: Final Fantasy V on Smartphones? Nineteen Bucks in Japan. (Kotaku)
$19? $19! $19? $19! #SquareEnixMobilePriceQQ #OverIt
Long-time Game Buoy listener Crystal thinks First Mate Slagkick needs to respect his elders! (Oh no, am I going to get slapped again? -FMS)
Also, the Podcast Pirates share their favorite #GameBuoyMemory! What is your #GameBuoyMemory? Tweet us at @GAMEBUOYdotORG with the hashtag #GameBuoyMemory! Thank you so much for all your love and support over the past year.
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Reading is Fundamental, our seasonal side project with Rob Roberts where we dish on RuPaul’s Drag Race
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– Theme music by Zelda Reorchestrated