Game Buoy Podcast Episode 31 – Kickstarter REVISITED
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Friday, July 5, 2013, Captain Spike and Slagkick examine the risks and rewards of Kickstarter a year older, a year wiser, and with wallets a little thinner.
– PlanetSide 2 and DC Universe Online will not require a PlayStation Plus subscription on PS4.
– Xbox One games will cost $60.
– Pokémon Rumble U has a new set of legendary Pokémon figurines.
– The new Game Center CX/Retro Game Challenge game will be developed by G.rev and will have shoot ’em ups, but will also have other types of classic Famicom games like the previous entries in the franchise.
– The Australian government will provide ten indie game developers with $6 million over the next three years.
– A retail release of Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara with enhancements is coming exclusively to Japan in August.
– Steel Diver will be Nintendo’s first free-to-play game.
– PlayStation Plus will also not be required for auto-updates on PS4.
– Castle of Illusion HD looks great!
– Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster will have a limited edition.
– The original Kingdom Hearts data was lost and had to be recreated for Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX.
– Drakengard 3 will be coming out on October 31 in Japan in a beautiful box set.
– The Injustice DLC will be coming to Wii U.
– The Deathstroke DLC for Batman: Arkham Origins will also be coming to Wii U.
– Killer is Dead hits the US on August 27!
– Fiercest bish Fang makes a cameo in the latest Lightning Returns trailer!
– Don Mattrick is the new CEO of Zynga…
– …and CNBC calls Zynga stock a “buy” in response to the news.
– Monster Takt, a monster catching mobile game, will be the next game from the Bravely Default studio.
– MechWarrior Online will launch its official release on September 17.
– Chaos Rings and a tactical version of Tokyo Jungle are coming to PlayStation Mobile, with the latter confirmed for a western release.
– The PS3/Vita dungeon crawler Warrior’s Lair has been canceled.
– Prince of Persia: The Shadow and the Flame, a mobile port of the second Prince of Persia game, hits July 25.
– There is a pretty Pokémon X & Y special edition 3DS on its way.
– There’s another one, too, that is even more gorgeous..but it’ll be exclusive to Pokémon Centers.
– Final Fantasy VII has been released on Steam.
– A League of Legends player was arrested after making a joke in poor taste involving gun violence.
– The Denpa Men is getting another sequel!
You’ll get caught up in the Kickstarter as the Podcast Pirates revisit the topic of crowd-funded games! In light of the news that Double Fine Adventure (now known as Broken Age) is in need of more money, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick take another look at the risks and rewards of Kickstarter-funded games by examining some of the successful and not-so-successful campaigns. They discuss the trends of launching new IP, developing spiritual sequels, and reviving old franchises through this model, as well as the importance of communication to backers. The Podcast Pirates also touch on Kickstarter in other gaming media. Which campaigns did Captain Spike and Slagkick think were appropriate uses of crowd funding, and which left a sour taste in their mouths? Finally, the Podcast Pirates reflect upon their experience and satisfaction with backed projects, how their thoughts on Kickstarter have evolved, and the likelihood that they will back gaming Kickstarters in the future.
RUMOUR HAS IT
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD will have a 30 minute drama during the ending credits of FFX – but is this new content, or is it content we’ve already seen?
Captain Spike talks about finishing Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS, resubscribing to World of Warcraft, his experience with Project X Zone, and the quirky Game & Wario.
First Mate Slagkick shares his winning streak on Wheel of Fortune for 360 against Captain Spike and OLR’s Rob Roberts, his time with Super Metroid and Super Mario 2 on Wii U Virtual Console, and resubscribing to WoW to level his monk. However, it’s Animal Crossing: New Leaf that has been taking up his gaming time, and he explains its personal significance.
Due to a last-minute episode topic change-up, there was not a Social Links Question of the Week this time. It will return for Episode 32, so please look forward to it!
Thanks to Rob Roberts from OLR and Jeremy from Qoopa Klub for their tweets in response to the SECOND ANNUAL E3 BLOWOUT!!!1
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– Theme music by the late, great Zelda Reorchestrated