Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, April 20, 2013, Captain Spike and his first mate, Slagkick, discuss all the news from the latest Nintendo Direct and analyze Nintendo’s battle plan for 2013.
Game Buoy is planning to take part in the Podcast X Zone panel at GaymerX (formerly GaymerCon) with our friends from OLR, Horde House, Qoopa Klub, and Gayme Bar – but your help is needed! If you’re a member of GaymerConnect (and you really should be!), vote on the panel to let the fine folks at GaymerX know that you’d like to see this panel become a reality.
– Silent Enemy, Minority Media’s next game, will be for Ouya and tackle the topic of bullying.
– The Castle of Illusion HD remake will be out this summer.
– EA is shutting down three Playfish Facebook games,
– Final Fantasy Versus XIII news might be coming soon.
– Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will have a new world and a new difficulty optimized for portable play.
– Sentai Filmworks have acquired the licensing rights to the Devil Survivor 2 anime.
– Puzzle & Dragons Z will be more of an RPG.
– The final THQ auction raised $6-7 million.
– RPG Maker 3 is part of the newest set of PS2 Classics on PSN.
– Ikaruga is available for Android at Google Play.
– Shadowrun Returns‘ non-Kickstarter DLC will require Steam.
– The Korg M01D synth will be coming to the 3DS eShop this summer.
– The chiptune compliation “NoiseChan & Nugget: Adventures in Chiptune” is raising money for Child’s Play.
– BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma will add two new playable characters to the upcoming PS3 version.
– Capcom is re-evaluating games in development and cancelling certain titles.
– Ragnarok Online 2 had a North American stress test beta weekend.
– Capcom and Tencent are teaming up for a CryEnging 3-powered Monster Hunter free to play MMO.
– The 3DS XL Circle Pad Pro is now available in the US through Nintendo.
– Bethesda has announced Shinji Mikami’s new game, The Evil Within, with a bloody trailer!
– Nintendo has developed a tool for the 3DS browser to share screenshots from Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Tomodachi Collection: New Life on Twitter and Tumblr.
This week, Captain Spike and Slagkick look at the Nintendo Direct from April 17, share their reactions, and discuss what this might say about Nintendo’s battle plan for 2013, including E3 in a scant few weeks. Here are the news stories that cover this rather eventful Nintendo Direct:
– A full-fledged Mario Party title is coming to 3DS this winter.
– Japan gets a special Luigi 3DS XL to celebrate the Year of Luigi.
– An Animal Crossing special edition 3DS XL bundle is coming in June.
– Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy hits EU this year and NA next year.
– The Wii U Spring System Update is coming this week.
– A new Yoshi’s Island game is coming to 3DS.
– Mario Golf: World Tour will have worldwide online play.
– Three of the Guild 02 titles will be coming to the 3DS eShop as separate downloads.
– Game & Wario hits in North America on June 23.
– The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons will be out on May 30.
– Pikmin 3 has recieved an August 4 release date.
– Mario & Luigi: Dream Team will be out in July in Europe and August in North America.
– The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past will be getting a 3DS sequel later this year.
– Earthbound is coming to Virtual Console.
– Bravely Default: Flying Fairy is coming to the US in 2014.
RUMOUR HAS IT
– The next Xbox is rumored to require an always-on connection to play games.
– Newegg listed a November 28 release date for Gran Turismo 6.
– Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection has appeared on a Korean rating site.
Captain Spike has been playing Injustice, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon. Slagkick has also been playing Dark Moon, as well as Fire Emblem: Awakening and Puzzle & Dragons.
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: Ad-blockers, the games press, and why sexy cosplay galleries lead to better reporting (The PA Report)
This eye-opening looking into the gaming press reveals the real reasons why so many sites rely on photo galleries and click-bait sensationalist headlines – and how that content, in return, allows journalists to publish quality stories.
TRASH: Can the 2D Sequel to ‘A Link to the Past’ Revive an Ailing Genre? (VICE)
This article is not flawed in its point of view, but its evident lack of research and fact-checking – including referring to A Link to the Past as a roguelike – demonstrates why mainstream media so often misses the mark when it comes to reporting about video games.
Jason L., Karen O., and Toupsi from Gayme Bar left some Facebook comments about TingleCast! @skie says “u r mr gay!”
Space Pirate Ben shares some thoughts on the BioShock Infinite episode he guested on last week.
@nintendoug made us some amazing fanart, one of which is our new album art and the other is set to be a Game Buoy sticker in the future!
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Reading is Fundamental, our seasonal side project with Rob Roberts where we dish on RuPaul’s Drag Race
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– Theme music by Zelda Reorchestrated