Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, April 13, 2013, Captain Spike and his first mate, Slagkick, are joined by special guest Space Pirate Ben for an in-depth analysis of BioShock Infinite. Please be forewarned that this episode does contain spoilers; the discussion begins at the one hour mark in case you choose to listen at a later date.
– The second Killer is Dead trailer has been released.
– Shin Megami Tensei 4 is coming to the US this summer at a $50 price point.
– Project X Zone will be released in North America on June 25.
– Batman: Arkham Origins for Wii U, 360, and PS3 is due out October 25 alongside Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate for 3DS and Vita.
– A SmartGlass update for Android brings support for 7″ tablets and larger tablets, as well as numerous bug fixes.
– WayForward is developing a Smurfs 2 game for Ubisoft, and it’s going to be a 2.5D platformer.
– The Rayman Legends team has added 30 new levels and some new bosses since the delay was announced.
– Ace Attorney 5 releases in Japan on July 25.
– The 16-bit inspired Super Adventure Box is playable in Guild Wars 2 for the month of April!
– Far Cry 3‘s DLC, “Blood Dragon,” has a VHS-style teaser trailer!
– Nintendo is bundling prepaid eShop cards with special AR cards in Japan.
– Poker Night at the Inventory 2 from Telltale Games will feature Claptrap from Borderlands, Brock Samson from Venture Bros., Ash from Army of Darkness, and dealer GLaDOS.
– Gaist Crusher, a 3DS title from Capcom that will be part of a larger media franchise, is coming to Japan this winter.
– Nexon is ending Dungeon Fighter Online support in NA due to an overall lack of players.
– Disney has shut down LucasArts.
– SEGA Studios Australia will be closing later this year.
– High Moon Studios has laid off 40 members of the Deadpool team.
– “A number of positions” have been eliminated at Square Enix Los Angeles, and Square Enix America president and CEO Mike Fischer will be let go in May.
– Aliens: Colonial Marines for Wii U has been canceled.
– Manami Matsumae, composer for games including the original Mega Man, will be contributing two tracks to 8-bit action platformer Shovel Knight.
– Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition is now available on Steam.
– Torchlight 2 in-house dev tool, GUTS, has been released.
– Farewell Umihara Kawase is planned for overseas release.
– SEGA has released a teaser trailer for what can only be an HD remake of Castle of Illusion.
– Ridge Racer Driftopia, a “free-to-drift” game, will be available on PS3 and PC
– Layoffs are occurring at branches of EA around the world.
– Ubisoft has a remake of Flashback in the works for XBLA and PSN.
– Retro-style RPG Mystic Chronicles is being localized for PSP by Natsume.
– Anarchy Reigns is now available to download on PSN, and the Day One DLC wil be available for $0.99!
– Puzzle & Dragons Z is coming to 3DS this winter.
– Harmonix is facing some re-licensing issues with legacy Rock Band DLC; the only affected content so far is Metallica Pack 01.
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick are joined by special guest, Space Pirate Ben, to take an in-depth look at game of the year contender BioShock Infinite. This discussion is chock full of spoilers, so please be advised before listening!
- BioShock Infinite: The Game
The Pirates discuss BioShock infinite as a game both in the context of the BioShock franchise and as part of the FPS genre.
- BioShock Infinite: The Art
The Pirates look at Columbia from a design perspective, including the propoganda, the character design, and the contextualized use of licensed music.
- BioShock Infinite: AS Art
The Pirates discuss the successes and failures of themes, motifs, and commentaries the game tries to make, including topics of religion, race, and feminism.
- BioShock Infinite: Reader Response
Captain Spike wraps up the discussion with this segment, where he asks First Mate Slagkick and Space Pirate Ben a few final questions about their personal experiences with the game.
Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick had a great time with Space Pirate Ben, and BioShock Infinite is a game with so much depth that the discussion ran for almost two hours! As such, regular and recurring Game Buoy segments do not make an appearance this week and will be returning in Episode 26.
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Reading is Fundamental, our seasonal side project with Rob Roberts where we dish on RuPaul’s Drag Race
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– Theme music by Zelda Reorchestrated