Game Buoy Podcast Episode 16 – 2012: The Year in Gaming
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy mateys and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast, your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that may not be on your radar, but definitely should be! On this episode, recorded on Saturday, December 8, 2012, Captain Spike and Slagkick take a look at the year 2012 in the world of gaming.
– Karaoke on Xbox Live will be going live on December 11, with pricing for two hours, six hours, and twenty-four hours at $3, $5, and $10 respectively.
– The DS remake of Final Fantasy IV has been ported to iOS and will be available in Japan on December 20. An Android version will be released in Spring 2013.
– Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate will hit on March 5, with the European release three days later.
– Rayman Legends is due out February 26 in North America and March 1 in the UK.
– Nintendo of Europe is restricting access to 18+ content in the eShop during the day.
– Bioshock Infinite‘s release date has been pushed back to March 26.
– A new Square Enix countdown site teases what could be Star Galaxy.
– Atlus is teasing a new Devil Survivor 2 project, perhaps an “overclocked” version of the game.
– The gaming world was shocked by the sudden announcement of Street Fighter vs. Mega Man (which Captain Spike and Slagkick accidentally call Street Fighter vs. Capcom since they are so excited by this news). The game, which began as a Singaporean fan project, will be released for free December 17 on Capcom Unity.
– Falcom is going to remaster The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC for PS3 with HD graphics.
– Capcom noted an increase in DmC: Devil May Cry pre-orders after its demo went up.
– The awesome Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo hits PSN on December 13.
– Dark Souls II was announced at the VGAs with a debut trailer!
– Square Enix registers a European trademark for “All The Bravest,” which may or may not be related to Bravely Default Flying Fairy.
– Also at the VGAs was a trailer for The Phantom Pain, which sounds a hell of a lot like it might be Metal Gear Solid V.
– Atlus is reprinting the first three games in the Etrian Odyssey series for in preparation for Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan.
As the gaming year comes to a close, Captain Spike and Slagkick look back at 2012 and its most notable games, news, and events. They also talk about what they look forward to in 2013 as well as their hopes and predictions for the new year! The Pirates wrap up the discussion with their New Year’s Gaming Resolutions.
If you are interested in hearing more about Game Buoy’s Top 10 News Stories of the Year, both from Game Buoy and other sources, you don’t need to look any further than the links below!
- The SEGA Saga
- The Perilous State of THQ
- Mass Effect 3 Ending QQ
- Women’s Issues in the Gaming World
- Nintendo Resurrected Bayonetta 2
- Sony is Junk
- You’ll Get Caught Up in the Kickstarter!
- The Launch and Struggles of the PlayStation Vita
- The Launch of the Wii U
- E3 2012 and Backlash to Nintendo’s Keynote
Captain Spike has been spending time with Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited, exploring his inner bro with Black Ops 2, wrapping up Disgaea 3, and of course putting the pedal to the metal with Danica Patrick All Stars Racing. However, it’s his experience with Ocarina of Time 3D that’s surprising him the most.
First Mate Slagkick has been also spending time with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Unlimited, but the bulk of his time has been devoted to Saints Row the Third, and he explains why it surpasses Grand Theft Auto IV in every way imaginable (and also what most of his game time has consisted of so far).
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, an Xbox Live Community Award-winning podcast running 7 years strong
– Theme music by Zelda Reorchestrated
– Email Captain Spike and Slagkick and join in the discussion on Facebook and Twitter