Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! This episode is presented a little differently from usual episodes of the Game Buoy podcast; due to the scope of the discussion topic, it is split up into an A-Side and B-Side. This part, the A-Side, was recorded on Saturday, July 27, 2013 at Game Buoy Studios (aka SS Game Buoy). Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick bring you follow ups, news, and other Game Buoy segments covering the past two weeks. The discussion topic, a history of rhythm gaming, is covered in the B-Side.
– Microsoft pulls another Xbox 180 and allows indie developers to self-publish on the Xbox One.
– Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl will be release in North America on October 1.
– Disgaea D2 hits North America October 8!
– Angry Birds Star Wars II will cover the prequels and have a Darth Maul pig.
– Martian Manhunter and a John Stewart skin for Green Lantern are the newest DLC for Injustice: Gods Among Us.
– Pokémon Rumble U comes out on August 29 on the Wii U eShop for $18, and the figurines will be sold exclusively at GameStop as $4 mystery boxes.
– Treasure will be collaborating with Capcom on the Gaist Crusher game.
– The Kickstarter for Shadow of the Eternals has been relaunched with a lower target and will now feature the voice talents of David Hayter.
– Deadly Premonition: The Director’s Cut has been approved on Steam Greenlight.
– Square Enix’s mobile game Chaos Rings is now available on Vita thanks to the PlayStation Mobile platform.
– Citing weak sales of Darkstalkers Resurrection, Matt Dahlgren of Capcom said there is no Darkstalkers content planned for the immediate future.
– However, Yoshinori Ono hints that a new Darkstalkers game will happen somewhere down the line.
– Call of Duty: Ghosts will launch on Wii U the same day as other platforms.
– Rayman Legends will also be available on PC at launch.
– Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster will indeed include a new audio drama.
– Guilty Gear Xrd – SIGN- will be playable at Sega Akihabara Building 1 in Japan from August 9-12.
– Sweet Fuse will be available in North America and Europe on August 27 for PSP, with North America also getting a retail release of the game.
– Phil Fish has canceled Fez II after a heated online argument with Marcus “AnnoyedGamer” Beer from GameTrailers, but he has indicated that he is doing so to get out of the games industry.
– Ultra Street Fighter 4 has been announced for an early 2014 release and has five additions to the roster – including Poison in a pirate costume!
– Matt Dahlgren says that Capcom’s plan for Ultra Street Fighter 4 is to make every character a threat, in terms of game balance.
– The creator of Mutant League Football has registered trademarks suggesting a new mutant sports game is in the works.
– Former Harmonix and Twisted Pixel member Dan Teasdale has formed the new indie studio No Goblin, which will focus on original IP that stay away from sci-fi and fantasy settings and tropes.
– Gail Simone is writing a Tomb Raider comic book for Dark Horse that will lead directly into the sequel.
– Game Freak’s new game has been revealed as Soliti Horse, a combination of solitare and horse racing, and will hit the Japanese 3DS eShop on July 31 for 500 yen.
– Past Dragon Age game saves will affect the world in Dragon Age: Inquisition!
– Custom Maid 3D, an eroge with a phallic controller, received Oculus Rift support in a new beta patch.
– Capcom is working with Double Helix on a new Metroidvania style Strider game!
– Capcom is doing a Pacific Rim collaboration with Lost Planet 3 in Japan.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Andy Schatz, developer of Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine, is very disappointed with XBLA sales of the game.
– Sales figures for Ouya games are overall poor for games that are not TowerFall.
– Peter Moore reports that presales for current gen EA Sports games are “soft,” but that this is “as anticipated” and “as planned” during the transition to a new console generation.
– In news that is only gloomy for Vivendi, Activision Blizzard will now become the majority shareholder of itself after an $8.2 billion deal.
Captain Spike talks about Deadpool, Rogue Legacy, and Shin Megami Tensei IV. Slagkick also shares his experience with Shin Megami Tensei IV as his introduction to the mainline series, and also talks about winding down with Animal Crossing: New Leaf.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week we’re going to be talking about rhythm games! Have a favorite? What was your first?”
Thanks for all your responses! There was also great general feedback, including this amazing Game Buoy shirt for Animal Crossing: New Leaf that Game Buoy superfan Dan D. designed.
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Gayme Bar, the gay video game Prairie Home Companion
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio s how on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download