Ahoy mateys and welcome to Game Buoy, where Captain Spike and his first mate, Slagkick, bring you gaming news and views that may not be on your radar, but definitely should be!
– Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed might have even more secret characters waiting for gamers to unlock.
– Platinum will be releasing an Anarchy Reigns “Day One Edition” in Europe, which includes Bayonetta as a playable character and two exclusive game modes.
– StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm was announced by Blizzard, but only Joystiq seemed to pay attention.
– Steam is making all new developers go through Greenlight in order to submit games.
– Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is now available as an ad-supported, browser based free-to-play game.
– PlayStation Plus is now available for the Vita.
– SingStar is now available for free as a digital download from the PlayStation Store.
– Masao Ohata has been announced as SNK Playmore’s new corporate president.
– Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse will be coming to the 3DS eShop! Shantae, you stay!
This week, the Pirates recorded an episode in the hours leading up to the Wii U’s midnight launch. First, they discuss what it means on a larger scale that the eighth generation of console gaming has officially started – will Sony and Microsoft rush to get their new platforms out? The bulk of the discussion is devoted to exploring the Wii U’s launch library, which many people have dismissed as being weak. What Wii U launch games get the Pirate seal of approval? Listen and find out!
Captain Spike talks about Disgaea 4, Halo 4, and why he’s given up on Assassin’s Creed 3: Liberation (for now). Slagkick talks about Super Mario 3D Land, Pokemon White, and why he’s given up on Assassin’s Creed 3 (for now).
READ OF THE WEEK
Loltaku of the Week is reborn in this new segement, where the Podcast Pirates focus on one gaming article that caught their eye. This time, however, it can be a really good article – like this week’s What Went Wrong With Silicon Knights’ X-Men: Destiny? from Kotaku. This well-written, greatly investigated article takes a look at the missteps taken by Silicon Knights leading up to the release of its flop game, X-Men Destiny.
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Dorked!, a delightful 10-minute audio parfait
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, an Xbox Live Community Award-winning podcast running 7 years strong
– Theme music by Zelda Reorchestrated