Game Buoy Podcast Episode 91 – Episode Ninty-One: Mario Mania
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, September 6, 2015, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick celebrate the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. by looking at the history and legacy of Nintendo’s flagship series!
– Retailer and storefront-exclusive pre-order costumes have been revealed for Street Fighter V.
– Fantasy Life 2 has been delayed until 2016 and will get a beta phase this winter.
– Final Fantasy XV’s release date, confirmed for next year, will be announced next March.
– Project Treasure has officially been announced as Lost Reavers.
– Rainbow Mika has been announced for Street Fighter V.
– XCOM 2 has been delayed to February.
– A Triforce Heroes New 3DS XL and Animal Crossing New 3DS are coming this fall.
– More character DLC is on its way to Mortal Kombat X.
– An upcoming patch for Witcher 3 will flesh out the game’s romances.
– Megadimension Neptunia VII is arriving in North America and Europe in early 2016.
– Deadpool is getting a re-release on PS4 and Xbox One this fall.
– Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will come out February 23.
– Uncharted 4 will be released on March 18.
– Shovel Knight’s amiibo will unlock a co-op mode on Wii U, as well as cosmetic changes.
– SCEJA’s 2015 press conference will be held on September 15.
– Cave is releasing some of its classich shmups on Steam this winter.
– Final Fantasy Agito will be ending service in November, but it will be getting a new “Reborn” development.
– Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X will hit Vita in March 2016 and PS4 in Fall 2016.
– Double Fine’s next game puts you in the role of a disembodied head that attaches itself to bodies.
– Hollywood is apparently making a Mega Man movie.
– WildStar goes free to play on September 29.
– Ace Attorney 6 has been announced for 3DS.
– Ace Attorney 6 will get a western release.
– The brony-developed fighting game has been reborn as Them’s Fightin’ Herds in order to avoid copyright infringement.
– The Mad Max movies are coming to Steam.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Last-gen versions of Mortal Kombat X have been cancelled.
– SoulCalibur: Lost Swords will end its service on November 30.
– The Pokemon Company filed a lawsuit against a PAX Pokemon Party.
– Steam is getting an UNCENSORED yuri game.
– A crucial story scene from Metal Gear Solid V is NOT in the final game.
– Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has a terrible tiered and divided pre-order bonus structure.
Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick celebrate the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros. by looking at the history and legacy of Nintendo’s flagship series! This franchise of games has has a massive impact on the industry and medium as we know it, and the Podcast Pirates examine the development, design, and impact of the mainline Super Mario Bros. series – from the groundbreaking original game, to its leap to 3D, to modern outings that marry the two aesthetics.
Metal Gear Solid Is One Of The Most Fascinating Science Fiction Stories in Any Medium (io9)
Upon the release of Metal Gear Solid V, journalist James Whitbrook presents this great look at why Metal Gear Solid is a masterwork of Science Fiction.
How Halo And Destiny’s Composer Got Fired From Bungie (Kotaku)
Mike Fahey presents a well-written factual account of the legal drama behind the firing of Bungie’s composer.
Captain Spike has been playing Until Dawn. First Mate Slagkick has been playing Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
This week we begin celebrating 30 years of Super Mario by looking at the main series! How have these iconic experiences impacted you?
– Anime Buoy, your port of call for anime recommendations, news bits, and discussions that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be!
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the gay video game Prairie Home Companion
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail
– Tables, Ladders, & Podcast, a professional wrestling podcast for the common man
– Joystick Jockeys, two LGBTQ gamers who love games and love talking about them