Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, August 23, 2015, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Virtual Boy!
DOOM AND GLOOM
The Podcast Pirates celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Virtual Boy with a look back at Nintendo’s short lived but forward thinking console. They examine the development history of the Virtual Boy, from the promising tech behind it, to Gunpei Yokoi’s grand visions, to the unfortunate cost cutting delays and rush to market. Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss each of the games in the console’s small library, including which ones are gems, which ones are junk, and availability and cost for those interesting in jumping on the Virtual Boy train 20 years down the line.
This week we’re celebrating the Virtual Boy’s 20th birthday! Ever play one? Got a favorite game?
Facebook bonus question: With VR technology being a big focus for the future of gaming, do you think it’s time the Virtual Boy got a successor?
Captain Spike has been playing Terraria, and he and First Mate Slagkick have both started playing FFXIV again after a short break.
– Anime Buoy, your port of call for anime recommendations, news bits, and discussions that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be!
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the gay video game Prairie Home Companion
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail
– Tables, Ladders, & Podcast, a professional wrestling podcast for the common man
– Joystick Jockeys, two LGBTQ gamers who love games and love talking about them