Game Buoy Podcast Episode 90 – Episode Ninty: Virtual Buoy
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, August 23, 2015, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Virtual Boy!
– Resident Evil 2 is getting a remake!
– PS Plus preorders of Rock Band 4 will get 10 extra songs as DLC.
– The alpha of Rising Thunder is now available to everyone!
– The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC Evolution has been announced for Vita.
– Final Fantasy XV will get a simultaneous worldwide release.
– Pokken Tournament is headed to Wii U in Spring 2016.
– Triple Triad is now available for mobile devices as part of the Final Fantasy Portal.
– Release details for Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball 3 have been announced.
– Hearthstone’s next expansion, the Grand Tournament, goes live August 24.
– Final Fantasy VII is available for iOS.
– Jam Kuradoberi has been announced for Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator.
– Kingdom Hearts will feature a Big Hero 6 world set after the events of the movie.
– Kingdom Hearts will have a premium theater event during the D23 Expo Japan 2015.
– Rodea the Sky Soldier has been delayed until November.
– Yo-Kai Watch hits North America on November 6.
– Grandia II Anniversary Eidtion is $25 during its launch window.
– Sword Art Online: Lost Song gets its North American release on November 17.
– Runbow launches on Wii U on August 27.
– Yo-Kai Watch is getting a Just Dance game for Wii U.
– A new Taiko no Tatsujin is coming to Wii U.
– Azure Stiker Gunvolt gets a PC release next week.
– Starting August 30, the 2DS gets a price drop to $99.
– Picross 3D is finally getting a sequel.
– Darius, The Legend of Kage, and other Taito arcade classics are headed to PS4.
– Summon Nights 6 has been announced for PS4 and Vita.
– Super Star Wars and a handful of other classic Star Wars games are getting PSN releases on PS4.
– Phantasy Star Online 2 is headed to Ps4 in 2016.
– PlayStation Experience 2015 will take place in San Francisco.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– GRIN, the studio behind Woolfe: The Red Hood Diaries, has closed its doors and will be unable to fulfill Kickstarter rewards.
The Podcast Pirates celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Virtual Boy with a look back at Nintendo’s short lived but forward thinking console. They examine the development history of the Virtual Boy, from the promising tech behind it, to Gunpei Yokoi’s grand visions, to the unfortunate cost cutting delays and rush to market. Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss each of the games in the console’s small library, including which ones are gems, which ones are junk, and availability and cost for those interesting in jumping on the Virtual Boy train 20 years down the line.
Unraveling the Enigma of Nintendo’s Virtual Boy, 20 Years Later (Fast Company)
This week we’re celebrating the Virtual Boy’s 20th birthday! Ever play one? Got a favorite game?
Facebook bonus question: With VR technology being a big focus for the future of gaming, do you think it’s time the Virtual Boy got a successor?
Captain Spike has been playing Terraria, and he and First Mate Slagkick have both started playing FFXIV again after a short break.
– Anime Buoy, your port of call for anime recommendations, news bits, and discussions that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be!
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the gay video game Prairie Home Companion
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail
– Tables, Ladders, & Podcast, a professional wrestling podcast for the common man
– Joystick Jockeys, two LGBTQ gamers who love games and love talking about them