Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, July 6, 2015, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick take a look at the Persona series!
– Dragon Ball Z Extreme Butoden has been confirmed for western release.
– Marie and Adachi will be DLC for Persona 4: Dancing All Night.
– Gamestop’s retro game shop is now available and features hard to find games.
– Boruto and Sarada will be playable in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4.
– Taiko: Drum Master V Version has new DLC in the form of Dr. Wily’s theme from Mega Man 2.
– Fire Emblem Fates will feature bisexual characters who can marry a same-sex protagonist.
– Dragon Quest XI will be for home consoles.
– Charizard and Weavile have joined the roster for Pokken Tournament.
– Street Fighter V beta details have been announced.
– Driveclub’s PlayStation Plus edition is finally available.
– Disgaea 5 hits PS4 on October 6.
– Steins;gate comes to North American consoles on August 25.
– Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax gets an October release in North America.
– A mobile version of Triple Triad is on its way!
– The Steins;gate sequel hits Japan in November.
– Suikoden III is available now on PSN!
– A new Seiken Densetsu game of some kind is in development!
– Yo-Kai Watch will air on Disney XD.
– Pokemon Shuffle is coming to smartphones.
– Physical versions of Shovel Knight are on their way to stores.
– Japan gets a limited time mobile rhythm game in the form of Dance? Pokemon Band!
– Square Enix is releasing Final Symphony, a performance of Final Fantasy VI, VII, and X songs performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.
– Comcept’s new Kickstarter is for Red Ash, a spiritual successor to Mega Man Legends.
– Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth is getting a North American release due to fan demand.
– Aksys has officially announced Zero Escape 3.
– Umineko: When They Cry is coming to Steam with an updated translation.
– Arc System Works is bringing Battle Fantasia to PC.
– A PC remake of the visual novel Himawari: The Sunflower is headed west.
– Final Fantasy XIV Mac sales have been currently suspended.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– The Phantom Dust reboot is now vaporware.
– The Rhythm of Fighters – SNK Sound Collection is ending its service.
– Yu Suzuki has responded to some of the confusion in regards to Shenmue 3’s funding.
– Bethesda has responded to those bothered by the levels of violence in Doom.
– Mario parody Kill the Plumber has been rejected by iTunes.
– iTunes removed all games containing Confederate flags.
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick take a look at the Persona series! From its roots in its parent franchise, Shin Megami Tensei, Persona has evolved into a beloved series in its own right. The Podcast Pirates examine the near 20 year history of this series as they discuss the evolution of the games upon the eve of Persona 5’s release. They also look at the various spin-offs associated with the series, all the while reflecting on why these games strike such a chord with players.
This week, we’re talking about the Persona series! Which game is your favorite and why?
Facebook bonus question: Which character’s journey was your favorite in the later Persona games?
RUMOR HAS IT
– Ubisoft’s Zombi for Xbox One has appeared in the Australian Classification Board Database.
– Dragon Quest VII and VIII are allegedly being localized.
SMASH!! (new title pending)
– How a Hellraiser Tie-In Became Super 3D Noah’s Ark (Gamasutra)
A great historical look at the unique development history behind the biblical game!
– Super Mario Bros. 2 Creator Kensuke Tanabe on Mario Maker’s Missing Piece (USGamer)
This discussion with Tanabe-san addresses Mario 2’s notable absence from Mario Marker.
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the gay video game Prairie Home Companion
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail
– Tables, Ladders, & Podcast, a professional wrestling podcast for the common man
– MultiTap Podcast, a discussion in the round about gaming then and now