Game Buoy Podcast Episode 78 – I Want The One I Can’t Have: A Look at Supply Constraints in Gaming From a Historical Perspective
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, April 26, 2015, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick look at the history of supply constraints in gaming to analyze the current amiibo frenzy.
– A new demo of Read Only Memories is available, and the release date has been announced as August 18, 2015!
– Project X Zone 2 will be coming west this fall.
– Square Enix talks about what is new in Dissidia Final Fantasy for arcades.
– Kingdom Hearts III news is coming at the D23 Expo.
– Noctis will eventually come to Dissidia Final Fantasy.
– Hoopa Unbound is headed to Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire.
– Marth and Lucina will be Fire Emblem If characters.
– Naval missions and a shipyard are coming in the next WoW patch!
– Gengar is the latest fighter to be announced for Pokken Tournament.
– Tekken 7’s next new character is Gigas.
– Journey’s robed protagonist will be appearing in the Sony releases of Super Time Force Ultra.
– Mega May is coming back, this time for Wii U Virtual Console!
– J-Stars Victory Vs. is coming on June 30 and will keep the same character roster and voice actors from the Japanese release!
– Activision has announced Guitar Hero Live.
– The remake of Ys Chronicles 1 is headed to smartphones and tablets.
– Saint Seiya: Soldier’s Soul is on its way to PS4, PS3, and PC.
– 3D Streets of Rage 2 and 3D Sonic 2 have been announced for 3DS.
– The director of Dissidia Final Fantasy is working on a new RPG called Rampage Land Rankers.
– Taiko Drum Master is headed to Vita!
– Star Ocean 5 has been announced for PS3 and PS4!
– A Diablo-like Overlord action RPG is on its way.
– Patrice Desilets has announced his next project.
– A new Adventure Time game is on its way.
– Compile Heart has announced Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force.
– GAMESTOP WILL BE REFURBISHING AND SELLING RETRO SYSTEMS AND GAMES AGAIN.
– Heroes of the Storm gets an official release on June 2, following an open beta period.
– The first details of the new Star Wars Battlefront game have emerged.
– Final Fantasy IV: The After Years’ remake is coming to PC.
– Square Enix will be holding their E3 conference on June 16.
– Summon Night 5 and Class of Heroes 3 are coming to western PSPs!
– Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse is now available for PC!
– You can buy easy fatalities in Mortal Kombat X, WTF.
– Mortal Kombat X has the franchise’s first gay character!
– The upcoming House of Wolves expansion is going to change the progression of Destiny.
– All signs point to Kojima-san leaving Konami.
– Guillermo del Toro confirms Silent Hills has been canceled.
The Lilly Pulitzer fiasco at Target got Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick thinking about the current frenzy about amiibo supply and demand, and thus about the history of supply constraints in gaming and how they have affected the marketplace. From rare games to console shortages to the current amiibo craze, the Podcast Pirates examine the impact these shortages have on consumers and its relation to other industries such as toys and electronics.
RUMOR HAS IT
– Are Fire Emblem’s Roy and Street Fighter’s Ryu the next Smash Bros. DLC?
SMASH!! (new title pending)
– How a Small Game Studio Almost Made It Big (Kotaku)
Jason Schreier details the unfortunate events surrounding Darkside Studio’s development of the now in limbo Phantom Dust remake, and how Microsoft put the nail in the studio’s coffin.
Captain Spike has been playing Smash Bros, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and Marvel Puzzle Quest. First Mate Slagkick has been playing Smash Bros. and Star Wars: The Old Republic.
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail
– Tables, Ladders, & Podcast, a professional wrestling podcast for the common man
– MultiTap Podcast, a discussion in the round about gaming then and now