Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, October 25, 2014, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss beloved horror game franchise Silent Hill!
– Ultros and Typhon will appear in a FFVI-like battle arena in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
– Final Fantasy XIV’s next expansion, Heavensward, has been announced.
– The Dark Knight job has been announced for release with Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward.
– Mega Man armor for Felynes will be coming to Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.
– Hideo Minaba will be designing new Terra Battle characters as a reward for the Download-starter campaign.
– A closed beta for Dungeon Fighter Online is scheduled for March 2015.
– PlayStation 3 and 4 owners who pre-order Resident Evil Revelations 2 will get some bonus raid mode stages.
– Link will be driving the “Master Cycle” in Mario Kart 8 DLC.
– Yoshi’s Circuit will be a classic track returning in the Mario Kart 8 DLC packs!
– Hearthstone is coming to iPhone and Android phones in early 2015.
– Dark Souls for PC is moving from Games for Windows Live to Steam next month.
– Hyrule Warriors will “Link” up with the Link amiibo figure!
– Yangus and Jessica of Dragon Quest VIII fame will appear in Dragon Quest Heroes.
– The launch patch for Halo Master Chief Collection will negate the need for a second disc.
– The final release of Scrolls is set for release in November.
– Up to 8 players can duke it out in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.
– Mewtwo is coming to Super Smash Bros. in Spring 2015 as free DLC.
– Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will have a robust stage builder and online voice chat.
– Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will have a “Smash Tour” mode instead of Smash Run, which is like a Mario Party style game board!
– Super Smash Bros. for Wii U will have a photo mode where you can pose with trophies.
– Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- is dated for release on December 16 in North America.
– Halo: Spartan Strike comes to PC and mobile platforms on December 12.
– Demon’s Crest (and some other games) are coming to Wii U Virtual Console on October 30!
– The retro RPG Pier Solar HD is out for Wii U on November 6.
– Dead or Alive 5 Last Round arrives on February 17.
– Tekken 7 is coming to Japanese arcades in February 2015.
– Google has announced the $99 Nexus Player, an Android based game console.
– Sony is holding a PlayStation Experience event in December in Las Vegas.
– Terra Formars is getting a Nintendo 3DS game adaptation.
– DC Entertainment has announced they will be publishing a Mortal Kombat X comic.
– McFarlane Toys will be publishing an action figure of The Walking Dead: Episode 2’s Clementine in clean and bloody versions.
– Camp Pokemon is a pin and sticker collection game on iOS.
– Metallica will play the Blizzcon 2014 closing ceremonies.
– Microsoft has unveiled the Kinect PC Adapter and is issuing SDK 2.0 for free.
– Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is getting a 10th anniversary HD remaster for Xbox 360.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Layoff rumors for Carbine Studios don’t spell good news for the company.
– Jade Raymond has left Ubisoft.
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick visit the foggy town of Silent Hill! The Podcast Pirates look back at the history of Konami’s classic horror game franchise and examine the themes and motifs of the beloved series. They look at the “golden age” of Silent Hill through Silent Hill 4, the more recent entries in the title where the focus of the series may have strayed, and what P.T. suggests about the future of the franchise. Did the Silent Hill games really get worse, or is it just that Silent Hill fans are very passionate about their series? Listen to the discussion to find out what the Podcast Pirates have to say!
RUMOUR HAS IT
– Attack on Titan for 3DS got a rating from the Australian Classification Board, listing Atlus USA as its publisher.
Captain Spike has been playing The Legend of Korra, Fantasy Live, and Civilization: Beyond Earth. First Mate Slagkick has dipped his feet into Civilization: Beyond Earth and has been exploring Patch 6.0.2 in World of Warcraft.
This week, the Podcast Pirates were going to bring you a well researched article about a current social media controversy in the gaming sphere that incorporated concrete data, but the climate of discussing this topic is presently not one where Game Buoy feels safe discussing their thoughts on this topic without risk of personal repercussion. Read into that as you may.
This week: The creeptacular continues as we discuss the Silent Hill series! Are you a fan? Which game is your favorite?
FB Bonus: We’ve talked a bit about PT already, but we want to hear about it from you from a little different angle this week, what parts of PT’s design do you hope stick in the final version of the next Silent Hill game?
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail