Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, October 12, 2014, the Podcast Pirates take a look back at some classic retro spooky games!
– Neon Genesis Evangelion costumes will be available for Tales of Zestiria.
– Tetsuya Nomura designed a new Cloud costume for Final Fantasy VII G-Bike.
– Final Fantasy Explorers won’t have stereoscopic 3D graphics.
– The new Sword Art Online game for PS3 and Vita will be an action RPG that takes place in the Alfheim Online setting.
– Three heroes from Secret of Mana will be appearing in Rise of Mana.
– Epona is a downloadable weapon (!!!) for Hyrule Warriors.
– Ayane from Dead or Alive will be featured in an unlockable mission in Fatal Frame: The Black Haired Shrine Maiden.
– Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse will get an update to support the New Nintendo 3DS!
– New Nintendo 3DS is coming to Australia on November 21!
– Xenoblade Chronicles is coming to the New Nintendo 3DS in Australia in 2015.
– Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes is coming to Steam mid-December.
– Kevin Smith will be a playable character in Lego Batman 3.
– PC-exclusive maps from Halo and Halo 2 will be included in the Master Chief Collection.
– Quan Chi has been announced for Mortal Kombat X.
– Japanese pre-orders for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate are around 900,000.
– Yo-Kai Watch 2 is getting a third version in December.
– Toadette wil be playable in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker!
– Singstar for PS4 is out October 28.
– Playstation TV’s U.S. launch date was October 14.
– Terra Battle launched on October 9!
– Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance is coming to the Wii U Virtual Console in North America!
– Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow is coming to the Wii U Virtual Console in North America!
– The Crew has been delayed to December, but a beta will occur in November.
– Pillars of Eternity has been delayed to 2015.
– The Legend of Korra hits on October 21 in North America.
– The Steam Curator has updated.
– Super Smash Bros. for Wii U launches on November 21st in North America!
– Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker comes out in North America on December 5th.
– A Bayonetta 2 demo is out NOW!
– The Sonic Boom cartoon premieres on November 8th.
– Ace Attorney Trilogy will hit the eShop on December 9th in North America and December 11th in Europe.
– Vib-Ribbon is out now in North America for PS3 and Vita!
– A new Giana Sisters sequel is coming to current-gen consoles!
– The Amazing Frog? has flopped its way onto Steam Greenlight.
– Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting is a boxing game for PS3.
– Devil’s Dare is a Streets of Rage-inspired beat ’em up pitting you against classic horror movie icons of the 1990s.
– A Halloween themed Pumpkaboo will be distributed for Pokemon X & Y.
– The creators of classic RPG Hydlide are keen on making a new action RPG for 3DS.
– A live-action sci-fi Tetris movie is in the works…
– Square Enix is making a MOBA based on Lord of Vermillion.
– Cannon Brawl is a fast paced, competitive “explode ’em up” for PC.
– The games of the Sega 3D Ages collection are getting a bundled retail release.
– Pac-Man mobile games will have a special pink themed stage for October to help fight breast cancer.
– Pokemon TCG Online is out now for iPad in North America!
– Japan is getting new themes for 3DS in a firmware update.
– The next Durarara game has been announced.
– Hyperdevotion Noire Goddess Blackheart has been announced for a North American and European release!
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Despite the game never having officially been announced, Blizzard has cancelled their “next-gen MMO,” Titan.
– Westone, creator of the legendary Wonder Boy series, has filed for bankruptcy./
– Rovio has cut 130 jobs in order to “simplify” the company.
– Playstation Home shuts down in March 2015.
– A Famitsu interview with Yoshinori Ono basically states that new Darkstalkers and Street Fighter X Tekken won’t happen because recent releases in the franchises didn’t sell millions of copies.
This week on Game Buoy, it’s time for another look at some spooky games! This year’s theme focuses on retro horror games to see some of the earliest iterations of the genre:
- Clock Tower
- Alone in the Dark
- Parasite Eve
- Rule of Rose
- Sweet Home
RUMOR HAS IT
– Square Enix has trademarked Mevius Final Fantasy.
– A glitch in the Bloodborne alpha reveals some unannounced content.
– A Mildly Satanic New Video Game That You Can Only Play Online With Money (Kotaku)
Stephen Totilo writes a solid review of Cordial Minuet, a left of center game involving real world money and a sort of Satanic sudoku.
This week, Captain Spike has been playing Terra Battle and Destiny. First Mate Slagkick has played some Mario Kart 8 with the Hunty Bunch, but hit a wall on his legendary quest in WoW.
#GameBuoyExtra – what current releases should Slagkick prioritize?
This week we’re talking about our favorite old school spooky games. What are some of yours?
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail
Podcast: Play in new window | Download