Game Buoy Podcast Episode 60 – Games as a Service: Act 1
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, August 3, 2014, the Podcast Pirates discuss the topic of games as a service after the announcement of EA Access.
– Square Enix has four years of future content planned for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.
– Dead Rising 3 for PC will include the Untold Stories DLC for free.
– Sheik, Darunia, and Princess Ruto will be playable characters in Hyrule Warriors.
– The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is now available on PC.
– Halo 2 Anniversary will contain extra story content that connects to Halo 5.
– Titanfall has added a black market and an in-game currency system.
– Gore Magala and other Monster Hunter 4 beasts are coming to Gaist Crusher God.
– Square Enix has introduced a 14 day trial and a recruit-a-friend program for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.
– Sakurai-san has revealed a new mini-game, Target Smash, for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS.
– Takamaru from The Mysterious Murasame Castle will be an assist trophy in Super Smash Bros.
– Final Fantasy VII’s motorcycle chase song is part of the newest batch of Curtain Call DLC.
– Marie will be free DLC for Persona 4 Arena Ultimax for the first week after the game goes on sale.
– Inti Creates aims to release Azure Striker Gunvolt in North America soon.
– The Prince of Tennis II: Go to the Top has been delayed until 2015.
– Dragon Age: Inquisition has been delayed until November 18.
– EA plans to keep their games in alpha longer, test more, and delay games when needed in order to increase the quality of their games.
– The Mysterious Murasame Castle is coming to the 3DS Virtual Console on August 7 in North America.
– More Mega Man games are headed to the Wii U Virtual Console this month.
– Persona Q hits North America on November 25.
– Breath of Fire 6 is coming Spring 2015 for iOS, Android, and browswers.
– Dance Central Spotlight hits September 2.
– Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal hits 3DS on November 11, while Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric comes to the Wii U on November 18.
– Disney Infinity 2.0 will be released in North America on September 23.
– Crazy Taxi: City Rush is now available for iOS devices!
– Puzzle & Dragons W is now out in Japan.
– Nippon Ichi’s new Vita game is Great Edo Blacksmith, a title with erotic elements.
– Dungeon Defenders Eternity will have unlockable gear and items for Dungeon Defenders 2.
– One Piece: Super Grand Battle X has been announced for 3DS.
– A report states that the Google deal to acquire Twitch for $1 billion is a go.
– Gratuitous Space Battles 2 is coming soon to PC, Mac, and Linux.
– Silent Scope returns to Japanese arcades with Silent Scope: Bone Eater.
– Atlus and NIS America are bringing Tears to Tiara II to North America and Europe.
– Square classic Live Live will be re-released on the Virtual Console for its 20th anniversary.
– Michel Ancel has started a new studio, but will remain at Ubisoft.
– Digimon: star Rumble has been announced for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
– Dragon Quest IV for smartphones is coming west.
– Cooking Mama 5 is headed to North America in September.
– The Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga novels have started making their way to the US.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– The lawsuit involving former Bungie composer Marty O’Donnell has been settled.
– Square Enix’s CTO, Yoshihisa Hashimoto, has left the company for personal reasons.
– An unspecified number of layoffs have occurred at Gamespot.
– Crytek has laid off staff after selling the Homefront IP.
In light of the news that EA is launching EA Access, a subscription based service, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick dive into the topic of games as a service. Are games as a service good for the industry and consumers, or does this threaten the very core of what we know gaming to be? The Podcast Pirates take a look at other contemporary example, such as PlayStation Now, and also view games as a service from a historical perspective, from Sega Channel to GameTap.
– What’s Next? How games-as-a-service is changing everything (Gamasutra)
– Games As A Service: How Free To Play Design Can Make Better Games (GDC Vault)
– List of PlayStation Now Games (IGN)
RUMOR HAS IT
– Is Killer Instinct Classic 2 coming to Xbox One?
– The ESRB has rated Fruit Ninja Kinect 2 for Xbox One.
– Final Fantasy Fan Translation Has Become A Fiasco (Kotaku)
A look at the troubled fan translation of Final Fantasy Type-0, examining internal and external conflicts.
– Atari’s betting its future on gays and gamblers (Engadget)
A profile of the current state of Atari viewed through the lens of two of its upcoming projects: Pridefest and Atari Casino.
– No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry (Polygon)
A difficult but important read chronicling real examples of harassment of women in the games industry.
– The best games convention I’ve been to may soon be no more (Kotaku)
A touching look back at GaymerX2 from a straight ally on the importance of a safe space celebrating that #everyonegames.
– The surprising messages in a ‘sexist’ game (Kotaku)
A great piece showing how Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection subverts tropes and breaks the fourth wall when it comes to fanservice and sexism in gaming.
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail