Game Buoy Podcast Episode 59 – GaymerX2
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, July 20, 2014, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick share their experiences from the GaymerX2 convention in San Francisco!
– Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment’s big update will not be built into its western release.
– Grim Fandango will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux.
– Kirby Fighters and DeDeDe’s Drum Dash from Kirby Triple Deluxe will be released as separate downloadable games on the eShop.
– The next Sega 3D Classics title will be 3D Fantasy Zone II Double.
– Rogue Legacy is arriving on Playstation platforms on July 29.
– Secret Bases in Pokemon OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire will let you have your own “Gym” inside the base!
– Cliff Bleszinski and his new studio Boss Key Productions is teaming up with Nexon America for BlueStreak, his first game upon returning to game development.
– Project Spark will be release on October 7, 9, and 10 in the Americas, Asia-Pacific region, and Europe, respectively.
– Manga Studio for 3DS has made its way to the Western eShop as Comic Workshop.
– Lucina and Robin from Fire Emblem: Awakening have joined the roster of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS!
– A Rayman trophy will be in Super Smash Bros.
– Raiden has been announced as part of the Mortal Kombat X roster.
– Ed Boon has announced that Mortal Kombat X will feature at least one guest character.
– Final Fantasy Explorers will be released this winter in Japan.
– Vincent Valentine and some new tunes are the latest in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call DLC.
– The Wii U Fatal Frame game, Zero: Nuregarasu no Miku, will be released on September 27 in Japan.
– Hearthstone’s Naxxramas expansion has a release date of July 22.
– Pokemon Trading Card Game is available on the European eShop!
– The Destiny beta is underway, and the game’s premium edition packages have been detailed.
– A 3DS game based on The Prince of Tennis II is due out in November.
– The Firefly Diary, The Guided Fate: Cross Thesis Awakening, and Criminal Girls: Invite Only are the latest to be localized by NIS America.
– Ellen Ripley returns in two Alien Isolations pre-order bonus missions.
– The new DLC for Killzone: Shadow Fall includes…farts.
– The next free to play 3DS game in Japan is a Denpa Men RPG!
– Gigantic is a five player free online game from Motiga, featuring veterans of the StarCraft and Guild Wars teams.
– Both of WCW legend Sting’s iconic looks will be available for the character as a pre-order bonus for WWE 2K15.
– Rivals of Aether is a 2D cross between Pokemon and Super Smash Bros.
– Judas Code is an upcoming free to play shooting game for the Vita by tri-Ace.
– Classic battles from the Final Fantasy franchise will be reimagined and remixed in 16-bit glory in the new mobile game Final Fantasy: Record Keeper.
– Oculus Rift has begun cancelling pre-orders for anyone trying to resell them on eBay.
– Golden Sun: The Lost Age is now available for the Wii U Virtual Console in Japan.
– Tekken 7 has been announced.
– Bandai Namco is reuniting Gundam, Ultraman, and Kamen Rider for Super Hero Generation, a strategy RPG.
– Saban, owner of Power Rangers, is in talks with the developer of Chroma Squad to explore options.
– The Wolf Among Us will be getting retail releases for Playstation and Xbox platforms.
– Onechanbara Z2: Chaos is making its way to Japanese PS4s this year.
– Nexon has announced Pocket MapleStory for mobile, which will have online multiplayer.
– Disney’s Frozen content is appearing in MapleStory in Korea until August 10.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Microsoft has laid off 18,000 employees.
– Microsoft has shut down Xbox Entertainment Studios.
– Yogventures, a Kickstarter-funded game from Yogscast, has been canceled.
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss their experiences at this year’s GaymerX2 convention in San Francisco! They start with a recap of the history of GaymerX, from Kickstarter to Japantown to the Intercontinental to an unsure future. Then, the Podcast Pirates discuss why the convention is so important to them and why safe spaces in gaming are needed. After that, they share highlights from the con, including the GaymerConcert, the panels (including Podcast X Zone 2!), and some of the great indie games on display. They wrap up by sharing media response to the convention and their hopes for the future of GaymerX.
– GaymerX is necessary, but it may not be here next year (Polygon)
– Pridefest is the gay pride parade simulator from Atari (Joystiq)
– A requiem for GaymerX (GamesBeat)
– Creating Character: Exploring Queer Identities Through Games
– Gearbox Software’s GaymerX Spectacular
– Gaming & Intersectionality: How Politics and Games Collide
– We’re Already Here: Empowering Female and Queer Creative Voices
– Freaking Out the Neighbors (With BioWare!)
(Videos from GameRevolution.com)
Captain Spike talks about his time spent playing the Destiny beta and his import copy of Gaist Crusher! First Mate Slagkick shares the fun he had playing Mario Kart 7 with Podcast X Zone besties.
This week we’re talking GaymerX 2! Did you attend? What did you think? If it comes back, would you go again?
If you didn’t go to GaymerX2, do you wanna tell us a little bit about why that is?
– Qoopa Klub, an award-winning* Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast (*award is from their moms)
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail