Game Buoy Podcast Episode 53 – (Pr)e-3 Newsapalooza Hullabalooza
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, June 8, 2014, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick bring you up to date on what’s new in the world of gaming before the E3 hype train dominates the news circuit!
– Tales from the Borderlands will be a new adventure game from Telltale Games set after Borderlands 2.
– Nintendo’s free-to-play Steel Divers: Sub Wars has received a major update.
– After controversy over lack of LGBT inclusion and their original response to it, Nintendo has released Tomodachi Life in the West and promised to focus on inclusion in future entries to the series.
– Super Smash Bros, is changing the way that character models are presented to bring the games more in line with other fighting games.
– Wonder Red from The Wonderful 101 will be an assist trophy in the new Super Smash Bros.
– A female version of the Animal Crossing villager will be playable in Super Smash Bros.
– Ike is returning to the Super Smash Bros. roster!
– Wii U is getting a GameCube controller adapter for the release of Super Smash Bros. along with a Smash-branded controller!
– Super Smash Bros. for 3DS will use the touch screen to track damage from players and allow marking them.
– Peggle 2 is now available on Xbox 360.
– Hyrule Warriors hits in Japan on August 14.
– Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call has added Rosa from FFIV as well as other DLC, including Aerith’s piano theme.
– Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition hits consoles on August 19.
– Dragon Quest X is “under consideration” for overseas markets.
– Pokemon Art Academy will be released in Europe on July 4, with a North American release coming this fall.
– One Piece Unlimited World: Red will be out on June 27 in Europe and July 8 in North America.
– Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is heading west on Vita.
– Hyrule Warriors will have downloadable content.
– Hyrule Warriors is part of Aounuma’s plan to “break away from Zelda traditions.”
– Udon has released a Darkstalkers: Official Complete Works art book.
– Wii Sports Club will be sold as a retail package in Japanese stores in July and include bowling and boxing.
– Ken and Koromaru from Persona 3 are a single playable character in Persona 4 Arena Ultimax.
– CyberConnect2 would like to see Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution be included at EVO.
– Dark Souls will remain function on Games for Windows Live for the foreseeable future.
– Monster Hunter Frontier G hits Japanese Vitas on August 13.
– Persona 4 Arena Ultimax will have the first game’s story mode available as DLC.
– Dragon Quest VIII is available now in the U.S. for iOS and Android.
– Characters based on Famitsu and Dengeki will be playable in Ultra Dimension Action Neptunia U for Vita.
– Guilty Gear Xrd -SiGN- will be coming to North America this fall.
– Mercedes-Benz has teamed up with Nintendo for a Japanese promotional campaign that includes a free DLC Mercedes-Benz SUV kart.
– Phantasy Star Online 2 is now live in Southeast Asia.
– Mega Man Xtreme 2 and Klonoa: Empire of Dreams are two gems now available for the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Consoles, respectively.
– Orlandeau from Final Fantasy Tactics is new DLC for Theathrythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call along with some more songs.
– Shovel Knight’s PC, 3DS, and Wii U release date is June 26.
– The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap is now available on Wii U Virtual Console in North America!
– WayForward is working on a Transformers RPG for 3DS!
– Harmonix has successfully crowdfunded an Amplitude HD remake/sequel using Kickstarter!
– Towns, one of the first games approved on Steam Greenlight, has halted development.
– Wii U is projected to shift 3.6 million units this fiscal year, down from last year’s projection of 9 million.
– Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire hit 3DS in November!
– Halo 5: Guardians is coming Fall 2015.
– Kentucky Route Zero, Act 3 is out now.
– Samurai Warriors 4 is coming west this fall.
– Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is coming west with an Xbox One version.
– Gargoyle’s Quest II is coming to Japanese Wii U Virtual Console!
– Maple Story 2 will get a worldwide release.
– Famicom classic Nazo no Murasame Jō is coming west for the first time as The Mysterious Murasame Castle for Wii U Virtual Console.
– Pushmo World hits Wii U this month.
– Xbox One will launch in Japan on September 4.
– The detective visual novel series Mystereet is coming to Xbox One.
– The anime Psycho-Pass is getting an Xbox One game.
– Mages is releasing the fourth entry in their Science Adventure visual novel series, Chaos;Child, for Xbox One.
– Former Cave producer Makoto Asada will be revealing three Xbox One games at E3.
– Final Fantasy III is now on sale on Steam.
– Attack of Titan’s theme song is among one of many playable tracks in the new Taiko Drum Master monster collection RPG for 3DS.
– Prince of Tennis II is getting a romance adventure game for 3DS.
– Xseed will publish the latest Harvest Moon game in North America under the banner “Story of Season.”
– Natsume, who owns the Harvest Moon name, has announced their own 3DS title called Harvest Moon: Lost Valley 3D.
– Natsume will be showing three Nintendo titles at E3.
– A Tales of Zestiria anime TV special was announced at the Tales Festival 2014.
– The first trailer for Tales of the World: Reve Unitia has hit.
– A new ability in Tales of Zestiria will allow protagonist Slay to fuse with Heavenly Tribe members.
– Square Enix and Sony are bringing Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition to PS3 and PS4 in Japan.
– Infection X Girl: Cafe of the Dead is a browser social card game and tactical RPG hybrid.
– Japanese Wii U owners can get the first DS Virtual Console title, Brain Age, for free the rest of this month.
– Witcher 3 launches February 24, 2015.
– Xseed is bringing Corpse Party to PC some time this year.
– Cooking rhythm game Senran Kagura: Bon Appetit has been announced for North American release.
– Dead Rising 3 is coming to PC this summer.
– Mortal Kombat X has been announced by NetherRealm Studios.
– Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX hits Japan in October.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Sega is shutting down Vita free to play title Samurai & Dragons on July 31.
– Harmonix has laid off 130 employees, and its CEO has assumed a new management position, as part of the company restructuring.
RUMOR HAS IT
– Pokken Fighters and Pokken Tournament have been trademarked in Europe.
– Galaga related names have been trademarked in Japan by Bandai Namco.
SMASH OR TRASH
– SMASH: Where Final Fantasy Went Wrong and How Square Enix is Putting It Right (USGamer)
Jeremy Parish interviews longtime Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase about the missteps that the series has taken and how Square Enix plans to fix it.
– SMASH : Why Game Developers Keep Getting Laid Off (Kotaku)
Jason Schreier presents an in-depth analysis of the plague of layoffs that have hit the gaming industry.
– TRASH: As Nintendo grows desperate, the chances your dreams will come true increase (Polygon)
The underperformance of the Wii U leads this author to opine that Nintendo’s best bet is to release games for other consoles.
– TRASH: Redacted: Conflicting Reports on the State of The Last Guardian (IGN)
Oops poops…IGN runs an article based on a report from IGN Russia that Sony Russia told them that The Last Guardian has been cancelled, and then Sony responded that it has NOT been cancelled and IGN has to update their post repeatedly to reflect accurate information.
Captain Spike has been playing Kirby Triple Deluxe, and he and Slagkick have both been playing World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, and Mario Kart 8.
This week we’re back to lead you up to E3! What are you hoping to see come out of the Expo this week?
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Nintendo Fun Club, a podcast about platformers, positivity, and pop-punk
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail