Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, May 4, 2014, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss notable video games that were cancelled, stuck in development hell, saved from the brink of cancellation, or otherwise radically retooled.
This episode is dedicated to Bob Hoskins, star of the Super Mario Bros. movie, who passed away at the age of 71. We will always remember Mr. Hoskins for his portrayal of our favorite Italian-American plumber!
DOOM AND GLOOM
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss The Never-Played Symphonies – games that were in development and shown to the public, but eventually canceled. From would-be classics like StarCraft: Ghost to sillier titles like Tattoo Assassins, the Podcast Pirates look at what was known about each game and why it got the axe. Also, the Pirates go over games that were radically retooled or saved from cancellation. They also briefly discuss some games that were due to be localized or ported that never went through.
RUMOR HAS IT
SMASH OR TRASH
– SMASH!: CCP Focuses On What It Knows Best: EVE Online and PC (USGamer)
This article turns the sad news of CCP abandoning World of Darkness around as a positive prospect for EVE Online and CCP’s efforts in the PC gaming market.
– TRASH!: I Played 45 Minutes of Destiny And It Was Kind Of Boring (Kotaku)
This reporter gives a lengthy review on the still in-development Destiny based on 45 minutes of gameplay.
Captain Spike has been playing Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z, Muramasa Rerbirth, Mario Golf 3DS, Infamous Second Son, and World of Warcraft! Slagkick has joined Spike on WoW, as well as spending time with Persona 3 Portable and Infamous Second Son.
This week we’re taking a look at games that were announced for release, and got some amount of media attention (e3 showings, trailers, demos, etc.) before disappearing forever. What never-released game do you wish you had gotten a chance to play?
Facebook bonus: Are there any games that you were looking forward to seeing localized only to have said localization cancelled?
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail