Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, April 27, 2014, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick clear the news slate from what has been a busy month in gaming!
– GaymerX2 will be the final year for the convention as a yearly gathering.
– The Wii U version of Watch Dogs has been pushed back until the Fall.
– Details and a release date have been revealed for Titanfall’s first DLC!
– NES Remix 2 will feature a Championship Mode.
– “Rocket Man” by Elton John and “Forget You” by Cee Lo Green will be part of the Fantasia: Music Evolved tracklist.
– The Smash Bros. Direct revealed a lot of information!
– A Bob Dylan DLC pack for Rocksmith 2014 is available.
– Transistor, from Supergiant Games, is coming to PC and PS4 next month.
– An “Ultimate” update has rebalanced PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.
– The Last of Us is coming to PS4.
– Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment is coming to North America this summer!
– Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment will be receiving a major update in July.
– Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call is coming west this year!
– Yuffie will be the first DLC character for Curtain Call.
– The launch of SoulCalibur: Lost Swords has been delayed due to technical issues.
– Blade Arcus from Shining will have a location text in Akihabara from May 9 to May 11.
– The theme song from Attack On Titan is among the songs coming to Taiko Drum Master for Wii U.
– Picross e4 is coming to the eShop next week!
– Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes’ platform exclusive content will become available for everyone for free starting on May 1.
– The Games Atelier has cancelled their Kickstarter for Flying Hamster 2 to partner with FDG Entertainment, an indie-focused publisher.
– The Denpa Men 3 is coming on May 8, with a demo available next week.
– An important Persona announcement is coming May 2!
– Microsoft has dug up the E.T. cartridges from the New Mexico landfill.
– Natsume is going to localize End of Serenity for PSP.
– Civilization: Beyond Earth will take the Civilization series to intergalactic heights.
– Hearthstone will be getting a single-player adventure mode based off the Naxxramas raid!
– Drinkbox Studios, of Guacamelee fame, have announced that their next game will be the first person gesture controlled adventure, Severed.
– Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, and Oreshika have been confirmed for North American release on Vita.
– Microsoft has announced Age of Empires: World Domination for mobile platforms.
– Harmonix’s free to play game, Record Run, is planned for a May release.
– Tomodachi Life is coming west on June 6.
– Soda Drinker Pro is coming to Xbox One this September.
– Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel is the next Borderlands adventure.
– Magic 2015 will be coming to Xbox One this summer.
– The Behemoth’s next game will be an Xbox One exclusive.
– Below has been confirmed for Steam.
– Square Enix is teasing new MaNa and SaGa games.
– SoulCalibur: Unbreakable Soul has been announced for mobile devices.
– Rise of Incarnates is a 2v2 fighting game made by Tekken and SoulCalibur staff members.
– The next Ace Attorney game will be the first of the “Great Ace Attorney” series.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– CCP is ceasing development on World of Darkness.
– LucasArts canceled a Darth Maul origins game due to meddling from George Lucas.
– Layoffs have hit Sega Europe following restructuring in the US.
– GameStop is closing 120 stores and increasing their focus on selling mobile devices.
RUMOUR HAS IT
– Mega Man Battle Network games may be coming to Wii U Virtual Console.
– Another World may be getting released on modern consoles.
– Suikoden II may be getting a PSN re-release.
– A Chilean retailer has listed the Mass Effect Trilogy for PS4 and Xbox One.
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: Fight On: Iron Galaxy Studio’s Journey to the Top of the Tier List (USGamer)
This great feature looks at how a small Chicago studio has come to be one of the premier fighting game developers, cemented with its status as the new Killer Instinct studio.
TRASH: Please Stop Asking If JRPGs Are Making a Comeback (Kotaku)
This entry in the Random Encounters column complains about articles that ask if JRPGs are making a comeback, claiming they are doing just fine, while the Random Encounters column itself has largely complained about JRPGs being a dying breed.
Captain Spike has been playing Minecraft, Sayonara Umihara Kawase, and an evil playthrough of Infamous: Second Son. Slagkick has been playing Plants vs. Zombies and Hexic. Together, the Pirates have been playing Rock Band and Mario Kart Wii.
Game Buoy listener @Think_Nathan wrote this great analysis of FF10 vs. FF13, in defense of FF10! Also, fellow Game Buoy listener Justin M. made this awesome retro arcade style Mad Men game!
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– X-Nation, an awesome podcast focusing on Marvel’s Mighty Mutants
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail
Podcast: Play in new window | Download