Game Buoy Podcast Episode 50 – Whatever Happened to Rare? (A Game Buoy Spotlight)
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, April 5, 2014, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick are joined by special guest Jeremy from the Qoopa Klub podcast for a retrospective of Rare.
– An AFI track pack is available for Rocksmith 2014.
– The Dressrosa arc will be coming to One Piece Unlimited World Red, with Trafalgar Law as a playable character.
– Bravely Default’s success in the West is making Square Enix rethink JRPGs.
– Persona Q will include Marie from Persona 4 Golden!
– NIS America are publishing Natural Doctrine for PS3, PS4, and Vita.
– Studio Pixel’s Kero Blaster is coming on May 11.
– Phase 2 of the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn PS4 beta is underway.
– A new Wild Arms game is in the works, but is still far off.
– Capcom and Treasure are working together on Gaist Crusher God.
– Amy Hennig, former Uncharted creative director, is working on EA’s new Star Wars game.
– Minecraft has reached 12 million sales on Xbox 360.
– Predator is coming to Call of Duty: Ghosts as part of the Devastation DLC.
– Clint Hocking from the Far Cry 2 team and Kim Swift from the Portal team have joined Amazon Game Studios.
– Mega Man’s Game Boy games are arriving on 3DS in May as part of “Mega May!”
– Deep Silver has confirmed that Metro Redux is in development.
– Square Enix’s new crowdfunding platform, The Collective, has fully launched.
– Square Enix’s Million Arthur has been localized, but it is still not heading West.
– A Nintendo Direct about Super Smash Bros. is coming next Tuesday.
– Tales of Asteria is on its way to Android.
– Hyperdimension Neptunia Producing Perfection takes the stage on June 3.
– Persona 4 is coming to PS3 as a PS2 Classic on PSN April 8, and will include the original voices.
– Battlefield 4’s Megalodon is appearing in its Naval Strike expansion.
– The Game Atelier has announced Flying Hamster, a spiritual successor to Monster World.
– Intake, a “colorful musical pill shooter,” is hitting iPad this month.
– Cave is compiling a shooter collection of 11 games and 7 playthrough DVDs for release on May 22.
– Amazon has revealed Amazon Fire TV, a games and movie streaming device.
– Renegade Kid has launched a Kickstarter for Cult County, a first person survival horror game.
– GameStop has announced a trade-up program for MLB 14: The Show.
– Sackboy and the heroes from Tearaway will be playable characters in Joe Danger 2 for Vita.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Falcom’s Legend of Heroes mobile social game is already shutting down.
– Airtight Games, the developer of Murdered: Soul Suspect, has laid off 14 employees as part of studio restructuring.
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick are joined by special guest, Jeremy from Qoopa Klub, for a retrospective on Rare! From their beginnings as Ultimate Play The Game, this company was always known for its impressive sprite work and quick turnaround time in delivering a quality product – which led to their success on the NES and their heyday working with Nintendo during the SNES and N64 era. With the sale of the company to Microsoft and the departure of the Stamper Bros over the past decade, is Rare as we knew it dead – or are they just trying to push the envelope for motion control the way they did for video game graphics?
RUMOR HAS IT
– Lego: The Hobbit may add the 3rd movie’s storyline in via DLC.
– A report from a PS4 survey proposes a player reputation system.
– An Australian Classification Board rating suggests that Soul Sacrifice Delta is heading west.
SMASH OR TRASH
– Smash: Game Buoy Advance Bodes Well For Virtual Console, But… (USGamer)
Jeremy Parish discusses his excitement for GBA games on Wii U Virtual Console while also examining missteps that Nintendo has taken with the service over the years.w
– Trash: Japan’s Big RPG Bubble (Kotaku)
This article takes a comment from Square Enix’s Yosuke Matsuda and twists it into a cry to pay attention to American JRPG fans.
Jeremy has been playing Mario’s Picross and Final Fantasy X HD! Spike has also been playing Final Fantasy X HD, while Slagkick has been enjoying Beatles Rock Band.
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail