Game Buoy Podcast Episode 50 – Whatever Happened to Rare? (A Game Buoy Spotlight)
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, April 5, 2014, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick are joined by special guest Jeremy from the Qoopa Klub podcast for a retrospective of Rare.
DOOM AND GLOOM
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick are joined by special guest, Jeremy from Qoopa Klub, for a retrospective on Rare! From their beginnings as Ultimate Play The Game, this company was always known for its impressive sprite work and quick turnaround time in delivering a quality product – which led to their success on the NES and their heyday working with Nintendo during the SNES and N64 era. With the sale of the company to Microsoft and the departure of the Stamper Bros over the past decade, is Rare as we knew it dead – or are they just trying to push the envelope for motion control the way they did for video game graphics?
RUMOR HAS IT
SMASH OR TRASH
– Smash: Game Buoy Advance Bodes Well For Virtual Console, But… (USGamer)
Jeremy Parish discusses his excitement for GBA games on Wii U Virtual Console while also examining missteps that Nintendo has taken with the service over the years.w
– Trash: Japan’s Big RPG Bubble (Kotaku)
This article takes a comment from Square Enix’s Yosuke Matsuda and twists it into a cry to pay attention to American JRPG fans.
Jeremy has been playing Mario’s Picross and Final Fantasy X HD! Spike has also been playing Final Fantasy X HD, while Slagkick has been enjoying Beatles Rock Band.
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective
– La Palanca Podcast, podcast por y para gay gamers latinoamericános en español
– The Starboard Power Coupling Podcast, a Star Trek podcast you hope doesn’t fail