Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, December 21, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss the launch of the Xbox One and their first impressions of the new console.
– On the latest Nintendo Direct: Zelda Musou, Bravely Default, NES Remix, and more!
– Sega is working on the next batch of 3D Classics and will consider bringing them to the West if they sell well here.
– Shovel Knight has been confirmed for an early 2014 release.
– Akira from Virtual Fighter will be a boss in Sega and ASCII Media Works’ fighter, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax.
– J-Stars Victory Vs. will not have paid DLC characters.
– Y’shtola and FFX-2 Yuna will be appearing in Theatryhthm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call.
– The Skull Kid from Majora’s Mask will be an assit trophy in the new Smash Bros. game.
– A mystery female fighter has been teased for the Ultra Street Fighter 4 roster.
– Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster will get same-day release for Vita in the West.
– Read Only Memories reached its funding goal on Kickstarter.
– Yumi’s Odd Odyssey will be coming to North America in January.
– flOw is now available on PS4.
– Tales of Zestiria has been announced for PS3!
– Tales of Zestiria will be released worldwide.
– Beck from Mighty No. 9 will make his first appearance in Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z.
– SoulCalibur: Lost Swords has added Astaroth, Nightmare, and Pyrrha.
– Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 will be taken down from Xbox Live and PSN.
– CyberConnect2 has given a first look at Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution.
– Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution will be coming to Europe in 2014.
– The Walking Dead: Season 2 is now available.
– Minecraft is now available on PS3.
– Initial D: Perfect Shift Online will be a free to play game in which you shift gears.
– Marc Ecko’s Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, the classic graffiti tagging game, is now on Steam.
– Compile and Heart Sting are making another Date Live game.
– Namco High, an online game, features a gender neutral protagonist!
– Dream C Club: Host Girls Stage will be a PS4 launch title in Japan.
– Red mushrooms and fire flowers will be available in the new Harvest Moon.
– PlayStation 4 enjoyed the most successful console launch week in UK history.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Neverland, makers of Rune Factory, have declared bankruptcy and shut down.
DISCUSSION PART ONE: XBOX ONE LAUNCH NEWS
– Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes will have exclusive Raiden content for Xbox consoles.
– Original Xbox programming is coming in 2014.
DISCUSSION PART TWO: XBOX ONE LAUNCH IMPRESSIONS
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss the launch of the Xbox One and their first impressions of the new console! After discussing what this means for gaming and the eighth generation of consoles, the Podcast Pirates provide a rundown of all 24 launch games, including their thoughts on the Xbox One games they have played so far.
RUMOUR HAS IT
– A holiday greeting from Atlus teases localization of Devil Survivor 2: Break Record.
SMASH OR TRASH
This week, Siliconera ran a series of pieces translating an IMPRESS WATCH series about some of the behind the scenes work for the 3D Sega Classics! They are all Smashes.
– Ninja Developers Explain How They Remade Shinobi III in 3D
– 3D Galaxy Force II: “It’s Not Going to Run!”
– 3D Ecco the Dolphin has Rebalanced Difficulty and Two Versions in One
– Making a 3D Classic Takes About a Year. Sega Talks 3D Altered Beast.
– Emulating MegaDrive on 3DS Isn’t Easy – Enter 3D Sonic the Hedgehog!
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick played Xbone! Captain Spike also put in some more time with Disgaea D2 and has a lot to say about NES Remix.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week, we’re talking about the XBox One launch. Did you get one? If not, will you eventually?”
The Facebook bonus question was: “What are you hoping to see from The ‘Bone a year or two down the line? Any MS legacy franchises you’d like to see come back?”
Thanks to everyone who responded!
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective
Podcast: Play in new window | Download