Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Friday, November 29, 2013, First Mate Slagkick and Captain Spike serve up hearty portions of follow ups and news, along with your favorite Game Buoy segments! Part B of this episode, a discussion on the Pokemon franchise, was recorded the next day.
– Game Center CX 3 will feature a young Arino-san in a simpler era of gaming.
– One of the games in Game Center CX 3 will be a Crystalis-style action RPG.
– Another Game Center CX 3 game will be a shoot-em-up with giant lasers!
– As you play through Game Center CX 3, the overworld around you will change in subtle ways.
– Lightning will have a costume based on Locke from FFVI in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
– There will be a DLC pack for Lightning Returns in North America featuring the original Japanese voices.
– A demo for Lightning Returns is available in Japan, and Lightning will have a wacky Moogle costume as well!
– Details and dates have been released for the massive Final Fantasy XI/Final Fantasy XIV/Dragon Quest X crossover.
– Final Fantasy IV: The After Years is now out for iOS and Android.
– Ys: Memories of Celceta is now available for Vita!
– Namco Bandai has opened a teaser site for their next Tales game.
– Puzzle & Dragons Z will have a full world for players to explore.
– Screenshots have been released for Planet Destroyer Black Heart, the Neptunia spin off coming to Vita.
– Rhino Beetle Kirby will be a new power up in Kirby Triple Deluxe!
– Gaist Crusher will let you upgrade from bosses Mega Man style.
– Shovel Knight will feature Miiverse functionality for both Wii U and 3DS.
– One Piece: Romance Dawn will hit NA shores on February 11, 2014.
– The Dragon Quest smartphone will be out in Japan on December 7.
– Xbox consoles will also be getting exclusive Metal Gear Solid V content.
– Typing of the Dead: Overkill has received a free multiplayer patch, and the Shakespeare of the Dead DLC pack is now available!
– A patch has come out in Japan for Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure Star Battle.
– hCapcom has released a sneak peek of the ultras for Hugo, Poison, Rolento, and Elena in Ultra Street Fighter IV.
– Marie Rose will be available in console releases of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate.
– Marie Rose will likely see a western release in Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate.
– A casual clothes DLC pack is available for Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate.
– Eddie is returning in Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-.
– A new character, Bedman, has been announced for Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-.
– Persona 4: The Ultimate Suplex Hold is coming to PS3 next year.
– Dingo, the developer of the Project Diva series, is working on Persona 4: Dancing All Night.
– Persona Q: Shadow Labyrinth will feature the casts of Persona 3 and Persona 4.
– Persona 5 is coming to PS3 in Winter 2014!
– Persona 5’s characters will be “restrained by modern society.”
– Index Corporation has filed a trademark for “Deviliser.”
– Atlus is free to use dormant Sega IP!
– A smartphone game, Doctor Who: Legacy, is now available.
– The 3DS Louvre Guide is coming to the eShop next month.
– Team Meat (of Super Meat Boy Fame) have released information about their next game, Mew-genics!
– A pre-release patch was released to make Crimson Dragon less difficult, in response to reviews.
– Microsoft will be announcing partnerships with Japanese developers in 2014.
– Patch 2.1 for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn hits December 17, 2013.
– Costumes and minions will be coming in FFIXV Patch 2.1.
– Patch 2.1 in FFXIV will also add player housing.
– “Turnabout Reclaimed,” the new DLC for Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, has a trailer!
– Assassin’s Creed Pirates, out December 5, will be a smartphone game involving naval battles.
– Cyberconnect2 has announced plans to work on a new .hack game.
– Valdis Story, a Castlevania-inspired side scrolling RPG, has been Greenlit on Steam.
– The Knight and the Dragon, out now for Android and coming soon to iOS, teams up MOTHER 3’s art director and Kingdom Hearts’ composer.
– Sega has released Masayoshi Kikuchi’s smartphone RPG, Demon Tribe.
– Yu Suzuki will be holding a post-mortem for Shenmue at GDC 2014.
– Members of the GaymerX/GaymerConnect team are developing retro throwback, Snatcher-inspired adventure game Read Only Memories with their newly formed studio, MidBoss Games.
– Read Only Memories is on Steam Greenlight – go vote it up!
– Read Only Memories is on Kickstarter – pledge $6 and a copy of the game is yours!
– Ultimate Gay Fighter will be a smartphone game from Handsome Woman Games that plays with LGBT sterotypes AND fighting game tropes!
– A Blizzard developer has apologized for making comments about the sexualized designs of Blizzard’s female characters.
– Xbox One users are being temporarily banned for using foul language.
– Twitch has commented on the PS4 Playroom nudity scandal.
– An updated Sony policy will allow you to activate your PSN account on up to three portable devices.
– PS4 and Vita are available in the UK as part of a “soft bundle.”
– Xbox One sales passed the 1 million mark in the first 24 hours.
– Microsoft has admitted that some Xbox One disc drives are faulty and announced a replacement plan for affected users.
– iBuyPower has released the first photos and information of their two Steam Machine prototypes.
– The “Abominable Snowman” update for Ouya will allow for USB storage and have a revamped UI.
– A Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon 3DS bundle is out now.
– A Mario and Luigi: Dream Team 3DS XL Bundle is coming in December.
– A Pokemon X & Y 2DS bundle is coming to South Korea.
– The Pokemon 2DS bundle is also coming to Europe.
RUMOUR HAS IT
– An Australian trademark registration for SteelDiver SubWars could bee the free to play SteelDiver game that Nintendo has been talking about.
– Square Enix has registered two trademarks that suggest localization for some Dragon Quest games.
– Telltale Games is rumored to be working on a new Game of Thrones game.
– Masimachi Abe is rumored to be working on a new IP for Nintendo.
– Job postings for EA Canada suggest that a new open world Star Wars game is in development.
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: The Legend of Zelda and the Road Not Taken (USGamer)
A great look at The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds in the historical context of the franchise.
TRASH: We Didn’t Ask for This Persona Music Game (Kotaku)
A negative reaction to the announcement of Persona 4: Dancing All Night that fails to recognize Dingo as the developer of the Project Diva series.
BONUS TRASH: Let’s Learn How to Draw Butts (Kotaku)
Kotaku frequently posts non-gaming related content, but it’s hit a new low with this link to a YouTube video of drawing butts.
First Mate Slagkick has been playing World of Warcraft! Captain Spike has also been playing World of Warcraft, as well as Super Mario 3D Land and A Link Between Worlds.
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective