Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, November 17, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss the launch of the Playstation 4 and their first impressions of the new console.
DISCUSSION PART 1: PS4 LAUNCH NEWS
DISCUSSION PART 2: PLAYSTATION 4 LAUNCH AND IMPRESSIONS
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss the launch of the Playstation 4 and their first impressions of the new console! After discussing what this means for gaming and the eighth generation of consoles, the Podcast Pirates provide a Buyer’s Guide for the various bundles available (if you are lucky enough to find one in stock) and a rundown of all 24 launch games, including their thoughts on the PS4 games they have played so far.
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: The Lost Promises of Shadow of the Colossus (USGamer)
A short but thoughtful article reflecting on the masterpiece Shadow of the Colossus and how it hinted at a potential evolution of gaming that remains unfulfilled.
TRASH: Sony Releases List of Things the Playstation 4 Can’t Do (Penny Arcade Report)
The Penny Arcade Report, initially a bastion of what games journalism SHOULD be, has finally become a Kotaku-esque snark-a-palooza, baiting trolls for hits.
Captain Spike has been playing Castlevania: Harmony of Despair and Fortune Street. Slagkick has been working towards the Pokémon Y endgame and shares about his Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Super Smash Bros. Melee playtime with Captain Spike and Space Pirate Ben.
The Social Links Question of the Week is:
“This week, we’re talking about the PS4 launch. Do you plan on getting one now? If not, will you ever?”
Facebook bonus question: What are you hoping to see from the PS4 a year or two down the line? Any PS legacy franchises you’d like to see come back?
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective