Game Buoy Podcast Episode 39 – Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, October 26, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss a handful of notable horror games to celebrate the Halloween spirit.
– Riku will be returning in Kingdom Hearts III, and characters will be getting new outfits.
– Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIXhas been officially announced and will include Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix, Birth by Sleep, and the cinematics from Re:coded.
– Roxas and Ventus have been teased for Kingdom Hearts III.
– Sora gains two new abilities in Kingdom Hearts III.
– A limited edition boxed version of Killer Instinct will include Pinny Arcade pins.
– JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure Star Battlewill have some localization changes for its western release.
– Disgaea 4 Return, an enhanced release for Vita, will include all DLC and some additional story content.
– Worms 3 for iOS has added Terraria content and is 80% off for a limited time.
– A patch is now availbe for Pokémon X and Y that fixes the Lumiose City bug.
– Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has reached 1.5 million registered accounts.
– Ultra Street Fighter IVwill add two new battle mechanics.
– A premium version of J -Stars Victory Vs. will feature anime theme songs on its soundtrack.
– Namco Europe has registred domains for One Piece Unlimited Word: RED and Awakened Legends Vs., the latter of which could be for J-Stars Victory Vs.
– Ragnarok Odyssey Ace will see a western release from Xseed for PS3 and Vita in early 2014.
– Tales of Symphonia Chronicles is coming to the US on February 25, 2014.
– Players will be able to unlock a higher difficulty in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds after their first playthrough.
– The Gamestop Black Friday ad suggests that the Zelda 3DS XL bundle is coming to the US.
– The developers of The Stanley Parable have chosen to remove racially charged PSA slides contained within the game.
– Dragon Ball Z: Battle Zhits NA on January 28, 2014.
– A basic Wii U bundle containing Skylanders Swap Force hits NA on November 15.
– A deluxe Wii U bundle featuring New Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U hits NA on November 1.
– Nintendo will be releasing some hot limited edition two-tone 3DS XLs in Japan.
– Club Nintendo has made colored 3DS XL charging cradles available for members to choose as a reward.
– The video game adaption of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is due out in May 2014, and it will have characters and plots not feaured in the movie.
– A 352-page companion app for Deadly Premonition has been released for iOS, costing $9.99.
– Ikaruga has been Greenlit for PC release on Steam!
– The developers of Boogerman are aiming to develop a 20th anniversary remake by holding a Kickstarter campaign.
– The full tracklist of Rocksmith 2014 is now available, and it’s great!
– Roundabout, a limo driving game set in the 1970s, will be the first game from former Harmonix employee Dan Teasdale’s new studio, No Goblin.
– A limited edition Monster Hunter 4 3DS is coming to Japan.
– Sega producer Yosuke Okunari says that future remakes and re-releases will depend on what fans want.
– Hyperdemnsion Neptunia PP for Vita is heading to NA and EU in 2014.
– PS4’s day one patch will be 300MB and enable many of the features that make the PS4 a Ps4.
– A beta of Toejam and Earl 3 for Dreamcast has been found, and the owner of the disc wants to raise money to release its source code online.
– Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed will be hitting smartphones along with a new Rhythm Thief game.
– Rathalos from Monster Hunter will be appearing in Gaist Crusher!
– Square Enix has formed the “Final Fantasy Committee” to ensure the quality of future Final Fantasy games.
– Assassin’s Creed Liberation will be getting an HD remaster for PS3, due out in January.
– The exclusive Ps3/PS4 content for Assassin’s Creed IV and Watch Dogs will remain exclusive for six months.
– Rayman Legends and Splinter Cell: Blacklist both missed sales targets.
– Watch Dogs and The Crew have been delayed until at least Q2 2014.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Shares of Ubisoft fell more than 26% after the delay announcements of Watch Dogs and The Crew.
This week, things are ~spooky scary~ on Game Buoy as the Podcast Pirates discuss notable horror games, featuring a handful of ghoulish greats and a few moldy oldies that you may have missed. Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss release information, facts, and impressions of Alan Wake, Uninvited and Shadowgate, Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Fatal Frame. They also examine the idea of horror as a motif in video games rather than a genre, and how these games exemplify it (or not).
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: Last Gen Heroes (Kotaku)
This tag on Kotaku features a great look at some of the high points of the last generation of gaming.
TRASH: Last Gen Zeroes (Kotaku)
This companion tag to “Last Gen Heroes” is an unnecessary and negative look at last gen gaming.
Captain Spike has been playing Disgaea D2, and First Mate Slagkick shares in the discussion of Pokémon X and Y and Wind Waker HD.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week, we’re talking about horror games, from Alan Wake to Uninvited! Do you have a favorite ~spooky~ game?”
The Facebook bonus question was:
“Horror games come in many forms, though of late it seems to be all about survival horror, but what’s your favorite?”
Thanks to everyone who answered and gave general feedback, too! Remember, you can always answer this and any QotWs retrospectively, if you’re catching up on the show.
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Game Over Take Over, your one-stop shop to “GO TO” for geekery galore
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
– The Gnerd Podcast, pop culture rants from a gay nerd perspective