Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On Part A of this episode, recorded Friday, October 11, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick share follow ups and news from the past few weeks. Part B, a discussion on the Castlevania series, was recorded seperately.
– GaymerX2 is scheduled for July 2014 in San Francisco.
– Mighty No. 9 will be headed to 3DS and Vita.
– Takashi Tateishi, composer from Mega Man 2, has joined the Mighty No. 9 team.
– Sonic will be returning to the Smash Bros. roster.
– Toon Link will also be returning to the Smash Bros. roster!
– After two failed Kickstarter campaigns, Shadow of the Eternals has officially been put on hold.
– Monster Hunter Frontier G will be updated to version G3 on October 16.
– Surgeon Simulator 2013‘s developers are exploring the possibility of releasing the game on tablets.
– Sega has no current plans to release Yakuza 5 in the West.
– Lightning will appear in Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn in a crossover promotion with Lightning Returns.
– Nosgoth has officially been unveiled, and you can sign up for the closed beta now.
– Class of Heroes 2 has shipped to UMD buyers.
– The developers of Gone Home are working on a free commentary track for the game.
– Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remasterwill be coming to Japan in December.
– Drakengard 3 is heading to western regions in 2014.
– Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Zwill also be released on Steam.
– Valve has officially unveiled SteamOS, a line of “Steam Machines,” and the touchpad-based Steam Machine controller.
– Idea Factory has opened a U.S. branch in California.
– Square Enix is teaming with Japanese telecom compony DoCoMo to bring Dragon Quest X to tablets.
– Kemco’s JRPG Chronus Arc for Android tablets blends Final Fantasy style combat with Zelda-like puzzles.
– Nintendo is officially ending production of Wii consoles.
– A recent Wii U system update allows you to play Wii games using your GamePad as a screen.
– On December 18, Capcom will be releasing the soundtrack collections Mega Man X Sound Box and Devil May Cry Sound Box.
– Vanished, an audio-only horror game, is now out on iOS.
– DLC coming this winter for The Last of Us will introduce a new character.
– Atlus has released details for P4U: Persona 4 The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold and also teased a new Persona based project with a new website.
– The 3DS has officially surpassed lifetime Wii sales in Japan.
– A hidden gem at Tokyo Game Show was Project EF-12, a free, fully customizable 3D fighting game engine.
– Controversial Chinese electronics manufacturer Foxconn has violated labor polices for PS4 interns, who are working overtime and nights.
– Physics-based game Rabbids Big Bang hits mobile devices on October 17.
– Toki Tori 2‘s level editor will not be coming to Wii U, so the developers are offering Steam keys as an apology.
– A demo for The Stanley Parable is now available on steam, with the full version coming October 17.
– An “enhanced” version of Final Fantasy VI is coming to iOS and Android.
– Ubisoft will not be releasing Assassin’s Creed 4 DLC on the Wii U.
– Dragon Quest I-VIII are making their way to smartphones.
– The developers of the Vectrex Regeneration app are creating a ColecoVision app, which will include 19 games.
–THQ is suing EA and UFC, claiming that EA fed inside info to UFC to broker a deal of their own.
– Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father will be receiving a remake for PC, Mac, and mobile devices in honor of its 20th anniversary.
– A new Harvest Moon title is en “root” to 3DS!
– The Square Enix Collective, a partnership with Indiegogo, will be opening old Eidos IP for developers to make pitches for crowdfunding campaigns.
– Tommo Inc. is denying SNK Playmore’s claim of a breach of contract for selling the Neo Geo X and will continue to sell the console.
– The Bravely Default collector’s edition with art book is coming to Europe.
– In A Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, players will be able to tackle dungeons in any order.
– A new Kirby game is coming to 3DS in 2014!
– Sonic: Lost World has been pushed back a week to October 29 for its NA release.
– Pikmin 3‘s first paid DLC mission pack is now available and costs $1.99.
– Wii U Party will come with a horizontal stand for the GamePad.
– New Mario and Luigi themed Wii remotes are coming soon.
– StreetPass relay points have been upgraded and will be distributing content throughout the month.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– EA has shut down its freemium-centric North Carolina studio.
– Reports have emerged that a Day of the Tentacle remake was 80% done before LucasArts got shut down.
Captain Spike has been playing Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and The Wonderful 101, the latter of which he discussed on a recent episode of Qoopa Klub! First Mate Slagkick has been playing Castlevania games and putting time into Wind Waker HD.
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: How LucasArts Fell Apart (Kotaku)
This well-written, well-researched, well-organized article takes a look at the final days of LucasArts, with an in-depth look at projects such as Star Wars 1313 and the Day of the Tentacle remake.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week we’re talking about the Castlevania series! Which is your favorite? Why?”
The Facebook bonus question asked if you prefer Metroidvania or original recipe. Thanks to everyone who shared their answers!
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”