Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, September 21, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick celebrate Talk Like A Pirate Day by discussing their favorite pirate games.
– Sega has purchased Index (the parent company of Atlus) for $14 billion.
– Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade will be adding a new fighter.
– SoulCalibur Lost Swords will be a free to play PSN exclusive.
– Tales of Phantasia is coming to iOS this fall and will have microtransactions.
– The Disney Infinity Toy Box app is now available from the App Store.
– Pokémon X and Y will only use 3D effects during cinematics and battles.
– Ouya is overhauling their “Free The Games Fund” program.
– Terraria is recieving its biggest content update yet with Patch 1.2 on October 1.
– Wii Fit Uwill be available November 1 as a digital download that is free for 30 days.
– More Mega Man is on its way to Virtual Console, but it may still take a while.
– WayForward has announced Shantae: Half Genie Hero for Wii U, PS3, 360, and next gen consoles.
– The upcoming Shantae and the Pirates Curse will be similar in some ways to the Metroid series.
– Trails int he Skywill be coming to Steam , and Carpe Fulgur will be translating the sequel.
– Nintendo has dropped the price of several Wii games, including Super Mario Galaxy 2, to $29.99.
– Former head of Cave, Makoto Asada, is working on an Xbox One game at Mages/5pb.
– Final Fantasy Agito,a prequel to Type-0, will be coming to Android and iOS this winter.
– Taiko: Drum Master Wii U Versionhits Japan on November 21.
– SimCity: Cities of Tomorrow, a futuristic expansion,will be available November 12.
– Ghosts’n Goblins Online was wrongly posted on Steam Greenlight and has been removed.
– Warhammer Onlinewill shut down on December 18.
– The Chinese version of RIFTwill stop operating in November.
– Wii Sports Clubwill bring back the games of Wii Sports in HD and have new online features.
– Monster Hunter 4has launched with the highest sales figures of the series.
– Diablo 3 is permanently removing its auction houses in March 2014.
– The SCE Japan Press Conference 2013 has revealed lots of interesting news, including a new Vita, a PS4 launch date for Japan, and another new Vita!
YOU’LL GET CAUGHT UP IN A KICKSTARTER!
– Super Retro Squadhas rebranded itself Super Action Squad.
– The Super Action Squad FAQ addresses many of the concerns backers have about the state of the game.
– Ghost Song has wrapped up its Kickstarter campaign with $54,000.
– Project Phoenixhas ended its Kickstarter campaign and raised over $1 million.
– The Kickstarter campaign for CLANG has crumbled, being downgraded to a “nights and weekends” project, and the campaign has been revealed as a means of attracting investors and was never meant to fund development.
TOKYO GAME SHOW 2013
– Final Fantasy Agito will definitely be localized, but this isn’t a guarantee of a Western release.
– Crimson Dragondirector Yukio Futatsugi would like to work with Nintendo again.
– The crew of the Thousand Sunny will star in a new rhythm game, One Piece: Dance Battle.
– Motohide Eshiro (Ace Attorney) and Makoto Ikehara (Breath of Fire) have teamed up for Capcom’s upcoming iOS RPG, Blade Fantasia.
– Monster Hunter Frontier G is heading to Vita in Japan and will feature cross play with PS3.
– Bayonetta: Bloody Fate, an anime film, will release in Japan in November.
– JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure All Star Battleis coming to NA and EU regions in 2014!
– Yasumi Matsuno (Vagrant Story) is working on a new strategy game called Unsung Story, coming to digital platforms including Android and iOS.
– SoulCalibur Lost Swords is coming in Winter 2013 with Sophitia on the roster.
– Dark Souls 2 hits March 11 in NA, with the JP and EU releases hitting later that week.
– The new Deception game for PS3 and Vita is headed west.
– A new Gravity Rush game trailer brings back Kat.
– Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn will let you upgrade your account from PS3 to PS4 for free, but you’ll lose the PS3 version.
– Suda 51’s next game, movie tie-in Ranko Tsukigime’s Longest Day, is coming in January 2014.
– One Piece: Romance Dawn is headed to NA.
– Jupiter’s latest project, Pictologica Final Fantasy, is a picross game with RPG battles.
– Final Fantsy IV: The After Years is getting a 3D remake in the style of FFIV‘s DS remake.
– Theatryhthm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call will be adding over 100 songs to the game.
– Final Fantasy XI, Final Fantasy XIV and Dragon Quest X will feature crossover content for Square Enix’s 25th anniversary.
– The upcoming FFXIV update will bring a new endgame dungeon, PVP, player housing and more!
YARGH! In celebration of Talk Like A Pirate Day, the Podcast Pirates discuss their favorite pirate games! It’s a 12-in-1 multicart as Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick share 12 bootleg games that have ransacked their hearts. From flops to downports to legitimately decent titles, the Podcast Pirates dive into the history of some notable unlicensed games:
– Somari (NES)
– Kart Fighter (NES)
– Super Mario World (NES)
– Super Donkey Kong 99 (Genesis)
– MK5 Mortal Combat Sub Zero (Genesis)
– Street Fighter II: Rainbow Edition (Arcade)
– Pokémon Diamond and Jade (Game Boy Color)
– Pocket Monster (Genesis/SNES)
– Bible Adventures (NES)
– TETЯIS: The Soviet Mind Game (NES)
– Final Fantasy VII (NES)
– Chrono Trigger (NES)
RUMOUR HAS IT
– A Virtual On memorial talk show on Niconico has sparked rumors of a comeback and something “waking up” on the series’ 20th anniversary.
Captain Spike has been playing Project Diva F, Final Fantasy XIV, Game Dev Tycoon, and The Wonderful 101. Slagkick has been playing Castle of Illusion HD and Pikmin 3.
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: Chicago: Home of a New Indie Gaming Renaissance (Kotaku)
A great feature on the burgeoning indie scene in Chicago!
SMASH: Why I’m N ever Going Back to Penny Arcade Expo (Wired)
A look at the problematic issues of the Penny Arcade creators as the d*ckwolf controversy continues.
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Neshoba Talks With You About Video Games, a two hour weekly show with guests from around the world
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download