Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, August 31, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick take a look at the history of console revisions in light of the announcement of the Nintendo 2DS.
– Chibi-Robo! Let’s Go, Photo! has been rated by the Australian Classification Board.
– Yakuza Restoration will play more like an RPG.
– Nippon Ichi is aiming to balance sequels with developing new games.
– The Witch and the Hundred Knight will be released in NA and EU in early 2014.
– Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies will cost $30.
– Square Enix is temporarily halting digital sales of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn due to server overload.
– FFXIV:ARR will be coming to PS4 “sooner than you expect.”
– Square Enix will be releasing a Dragon Quest X demo for PC.
– SoulCalibur 2 HD Online will let you play as both Heihachi and Spawn.
– Sasuke, Vegeta, and Zebra have been added to J-Stars Victory Vs.
– Nintendo and Capcom will be announcing their latest collaboration soon.
– Bravely Default: For The Sequel has been announced.
– Level-5 is working with Microsoft to bring Wonderflick to the Xbox One.
– Layton 7 will be a puzzle roleplaying game.
– The new Persona 4 game will be a Pachislot.
– The King of Fighters MOBA goes into beta in Thailand on September 4.
– ToHeart 2: Dungeon Travelers is getting a Vita remake.
– Final Fantasy XIV will be receiving content updates every three months.
– A coder named Mr. Anon modified a homebrew fighting game engine to make Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting Edition for the Virtual Boy.
– Super Adventure Box is returning to Guild Wars 2!
– Just Dance Kids 2014 grooves its way to retail this October!
– Viewtiful Joe is making his grand return in Combo Crew…a mobile social brawler for Android and iOS. Oh.
– Bravoman is returning after 25 years in Bravoman: Binja Bash for iOS and Android.
– Nintendo is cutting the price of the Wii U deluxe package to $299 – and they will release Wind Waker HD on the eShop early, on September 20.
– Nintendo has no plans for a Wii U ambassador program.
– Wii U game release dates: Wii Party U on October 25, Super Mario 3D World on November 22, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze on December 6.
– Zelda: A Link Between Worlds and Mario Party: Island Tour both hit the 3DS on November 22.
– Nintendo has announced the 2DS, a budget version of the 3DS without the 3D!
In light of the announcement of the Nintendo 2DS, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss the history of console revisions. After briefly touching on the early history of Atari and Commodore 64 revisions, the Podcast Pirates examine how Nintendo started a trend with its multiple Game Boy releases, as well as revisions to the NES and SNES. They take a look at how the multiple revisions of the Genesis and TurboGrafx-16 lead to consumer confusion and peripheral fragmentation. After that, it’s time to move on to the era of regular revisions of handheld hardware, before arriving in the modern day where console revisions became a fact of life during the previous console generation. The Podcast Pirates wrap up with a brief chat about some unique multimedia console hybrids and Brazil’s love affair with old Sega hardware.
Captain Spike has been playing Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. Slagkick has been playing Tetris.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week: We talk hardware (re)iteration. Has there ever been a platform redesign that sold you on hardware you didn’t already want?”
Thanks to everyone who answered, and to those who interacted with us about other topics on social media!
– Keiji Inafune has rounded up a team of Mega Man veterans to launch a Kickstarter for Mighty No. 9, a spiritual successor to Mega Man!
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download