Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, August 24, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick celebrate the magic of Disney games!
– Xbox One will not require a Kinect to be plugged in.
– Rock Band licensing is expiring for “Bang a Gong” by T. Rex and a lot of Red Hot Chili Peppers songs.
– Xbox One will only be coming to thirteen regions at launch.
– The Guided Fate Paradox for PS3 comes to North America on November 5.
– A Rayman Legends demo hits PSN and Xbox Live on August 20.
– King of Fighters XIII hits Steam on September 13.
– An HD remaster of Castlevania: Lords of Shadow – Mirror of Fate is coming to PSN and XBLA this halloween.
– The “Deadly Six” launch edition of Sonic: Lost World will feature bosses from the NiGHTS series.
– Sega has announced the next Yakuza game in Japan.
– Blizzard has released a trailer and some game footage from the first Diablo III expansion.
– EA’s Origin service will allow returns for digital purchases.
– Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 will be released on February 5 in North America.
– Shadow of the Eternals has failed to reach its funding goal.
– The Xbox One beta for Project Spark begins in January.
– Game Dev Tycoon is coming to Steam next week.
– Three more executives have left Zynga.
– The Starcraft Universe add-on creators are seeking $80,000 to make it a free to play MMO, with Blizzard’s permission.
– That Dragon, Cancer is coming to Ouya in 2014.
– The Humble Origin Bundle comes with Steam keys for many games, and EA is giving its profits directly to charity.
– Capcom is releasing a 30th anniversary soundtrack CD in Japan.
– A Dungeon Keeper reboot is launching for mobile platforms.
– Some encrypted credit card data was accessed in the latest League of Legends hack.
– You will be able to smoke pot in Grand Theft Auto V.
– Amplitude will be releasing the retro-styled Dungeon of the Endless as well as the 4X game Endless Legend.
– “Enemy Within,” the first XCOM: Enemy Unknown expansion, hits November 12.
– Pre-orders for indie darling Gravity Ghost begin on August 26.
– Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse is coming to PS Vita.
– Aquapazza is coming to North America this holiday season.
– Killer Instinct will be available in three pricing tiers, including a free to play version.
– The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is coming to PC, PS4, and Vita.
– Price cuts for the Vita and its memory cards have been announced.
– Minecraft will be available on PS4 at launch.
– Everybody’s Going to the Rapture is coming to PS4.
– N++ is coming to PS4 this winter.
– Wasteland Kings is coming to PS4 and Vita.
– Rogue Legacy is coming to PS4 and Vita in 2014.
– Fez is coming to PS3, PS4, and Vita.
– A lot more indie games are also on their way to PS4 and Vita!
– Spanish studio Tequila Works is developing Rime for PS4.
– The free to play LittleBigPlanet Hub for PS3 has been revealed.
– Bigfest will be a music festival sim for Vita.
– Certain PS3 games coming out this fall will cost $10 to upgrade to the PS4 versions.
– Gran Turismo 6 launches December 6.
– The PS4 will launch on November 15.
This week, Captain Spike and Slagkick celebrate the magic of Disney games! With DuckTales Remastered and Disney Infinity having just hit, and Castle of Illusion HD on its way, the Podcast Pirates take a look at the storied history of video games based on Disney franchises. Particular focus is given to the golden era of NES and SNES Capcom gems. Captain Spike and Slagkick also discuss other worthwhile Disney titles developed by other studios, as well as a few flops. The Podcast Pirates take some time to compare franchises that had entirely different releases on different consoles, and wrap up the discussion by looking at the new wave of Disney games.
RUMOUR HAS IT
– Namco Bandai has registered more Tales trademarks.
– A trademark for Pokkén Fighters might be a fighting game starring Lucario, Blaziken, and others.
– A trademark for Pokétretta Battle suggests that Pokémon Tretta Lab might get localized.
Captain Spike has been playing Steamworld Dig!, Final Fantasy XIV, and Gone Home. Slagkick has been playing DuckTales Remastered and Vib-Ribbon.
The Podcast Pirates have also been fortunate enough to participate in the Son of Nor alpha. Go support the game on Steam Greenlight today!
SMASH OR TRASH
SMASH: The New Dark Age of Dragon Quest (USGamer)
Jeremy Parish discusses the state of the Dragon Quest franchise, which is thriving in Japan but has no signs of continuing on overseas.
SMASH ABOUT TRASH: This post from Fuck NO Video Games (Tumblr)
The Tumblr blog Fuck NO Video Games highlights the digusting transphobic slurs and humor in the latest Zero Punctuation video, which no news site has reported on at all.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week, we’re talking Disney games! Do you have a favorite? How about one not made by Capcom? ;)”
Thanks to everyone for their great answers! The Podcast Pirates also received some great general feedback and comments, including Space Pirate Ben sharing these Mega Man meats from Reddit.
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Geek Charisma, a podcast that is everything geek
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest shock jock video game radio show on the internet
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”
Podcast: Play in new window | Download