Game Buoy Podcast Episode 34 – GaymerX Year One
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, August 10, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick share their experiences at the GaymerX convention and how it contributed to the larger discussion of LGBT issues in gaming.
– The upcoming DLC pack for BioShock Infinite, “Burial at Sea,” will take place in Rapture.
– Gaist Crusher will allow you to become the giant enemy kaiju that you are fighting.
– Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster will feature a rearranged soundtrack for FFX.
– Former Ouya exclusive Polarity is on Steam Greenlight, and if it passes, will feature Oculus Rift support.
– Super Mario Crossover 3.0 has launched.
– J-Stars Victory Vs. will feature heroes from YuYu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter.
– The Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R patch is coming to PS3 later this month.
– The newest color of 3DS XL is black.
– Mega Man 10 and Resident Evil 6 are among the titles in the upcoming Capcom Essentials PS3 release.
– A new Mortal Kombat game is in development.
– Monster Hunter Frontier G is coming to PS3 and Wii U.
– The Wii U version of Batman Arkham Origins will not feature multiplayer.
– Pokémon Tretta Lab is on its way to Japanese 3DS.
– Breath of Fire 6 has been announced as an online mobile game.
– GameStop is offering $50 credit for Xbox One titles with purchase of the same Xbox 360 title.
– Zatanna is the next DLC character in Injustice.
– The problematic Senran Kagura Burst is coming to North America and Europe.
– Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Collection will be a new mobile social card game.
NINTENDO DIRECT 8/7/13
– The Art Academy Sketchpad app is now available for Wii U.
– The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds will feature two sets of Triforces.
– Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney is coming to the West in 2013.
– Luigi has joined the Super Smash Bros. roster.
– Super Smash Bros. might have a Pilotwings stage!
– Japan is getting two limited edition 3DS bundles for the release of One Piece: Unlimited World Red.
– Iwata-san says the key to Nintendo’s magic is integrating hardware and software.
– Band Brothers P will allow you to turn yourself into a Vocaloid!
– Ragnarok Odyssey Ace will feature crossovers with Grandia, Soul Sacrifice, Dead or Alive, and more!
– Sophitia from SoulCalibur will be a guest character in Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate!
– Lord of Vermillion III will feature characters from Final Fantasy, Romancing SaGa, and Seiken Densetsu 3!
DOOM AND GLOOM
– Cory Barlog is back at Sony Santa Monica and is creating something “freakin’ huge.”
– Trion Worlds has closed their San Diego studio and appointed their former COO as the new CEO.
– Valve has severed ties with its Bay Area team, which has formed the independent studio Temple Gates Games.
– Xseed is looking to bring more games to PC, particularly JRPGs.
– UK retailer Asda is no longer stocking the Wii U.
– Zynga has lost more executives as it strives to get back to basics.
– Puzzle & Dragons has pushed GungHo’s sales figures to $763 million for the first half of 2013.
– Facebook is getting into mobile game publishing.
– Take Two has posted a $143 million net revenue for Q1.
– BioShock Infinite sales have passed the 4 million mark.
– The founders of RedOctane have formed the interactive fitness studio Blue Goji.
In this week’s episode, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick share their experiences attending GaymerX, the first convention devoted to queer geek culture. The Podcast Pirates discuss the four P’s of GaymerX: Parties, Pandora, Panels, and Podcast X Zone – the latter being their GaymerX panel with members of Qoopa Klub, Orange Lounge Radio, and Gayme Bar and featuring guest moderate Fox Van Allen from Joystiq and Techlicious. Captain Spike and Slagkick discuss how the convention raised awareness and furthered the discussion of queer issues in gaming and promoted inclusion of all minorities who are underrepresented in the medium, while also acknowledging the personal experiences of GaymerX that made the con so special to them.
Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick met some great people at the Podcast X Zone panel and would like to give them a special shout out here:
– Son of Nor from stillalive studios raised over $150,000 on Kickstarter and is now on Steam Greenlight! It looks great, so please go and upvote it!
– The Gaming Hipster is a blog that focuses on underappreciated gems and left of center gaming, for those who are exhausted with the cookie cutter AAA games out there!
– Geek Charisma is a podcast that is everything geek, with discussions on movies, DVDs, video games, conventions, and comics!
Thank you to everyone who came out to support Game Buoy and the other great podcasts represented on the Podcast X Zone panel!
– GlaDOS Actress and a Portal Gun Help Guy Adorably Propose to Boyfriend (Kotaku)
– Connections and Camaraderie at GaymerX (Gamespot)
– Gay Geeks Unite Against Homophobia in Video Games (Vice)
– Phil’s GaymerX Recap…Memories! (Qoopa Klub)
– Gaymers International: Ricardo and Anthony Go to GaymerX (Destructoid)
– At San Francisco convention, gay gamers are diversifying the industry (SF Examiner)
– Just making things and being alive about it: The queer games scene (Polygon)
– Dys4ia, Anna Anthropy’s autobiographical game exploring the frustrations of hormone replacement theory (Newgrounds)
Captain Spike has been playing Pikmin 3 for Wii U and he has been playing Team Fortress 2 with Podcast X Zone friends. First Mate Spike has had a chance to dive into the StreetPass Plaza games for 3Ds and shares his thoughts.
SMASH OR TRASH
TRASH: Final Fantasy Isn’t Dying. It’s Already Dead. (Wired)
This article uses an interview a fanservice magazine with Lightning Returns developers about boob jiggle physics to proclaim Final Fantasy officially dead, and focuses entirely on the negative attributes of the franchise.
SMASH: Is Final Fantasy Dead? (USgamer)
The team at USgamer hold a roundtable to examine the arguments of the aforementioned Wired article and share their thoughts on the state of the Final Fantasy franchise.
SMASH: The Making Of: Final Fantasy VI (Edge)
This great piece takes a look at the history and development of one of the most celebrated games in the Final Fantasy franchise, Final Fantasy VI.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week we’re talking about the inaugural edition of the GaymerX convention! Did you attend? What did you think? Would you go again?”
Thanks to everyone for their amazing Podcast X Zone feedback and sharing their thoughts on Episode 33A and Episode 33B! Also, Francisco U. shares yet another amazing Animal Crossing: New Leaf shirt design for Game Buoy!
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”