Game Buoy Podcast Episode 34 – GaymerX Year One
Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Saturday, August 10, 2013, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick share their experiences at the GaymerX convention and how it contributed to the larger discussion of LGBT issues in gaming.
NINTENDO DIRECT 8/7/13
DOOM AND GLOOM
In this week’s episode, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick share their experiences attending GaymerX, the first convention devoted to queer geek culture. The Podcast Pirates discuss the four P’s of GaymerX: Parties, Pandora, Panels, and Podcast X Zone – the latter being their GaymerX panel with members of Qoopa Klub, Orange Lounge Radio, and Gayme Bar and featuring guest moderate Fox Van Allen from Joystiq and Techlicious. Captain Spike and Slagkick discuss how the convention raised awareness and furthered the discussion of queer issues in gaming and promoted inclusion of all minorities who are underrepresented in the medium, while also acknowledging the personal experiences of GaymerX that made the con so special to them.
Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick met some great people at the Podcast X Zone panel and would like to give them a special shout out here:
– Son of Nor from stillalive studios raised over $150,000 on Kickstarter and is now on Steam Greenlight! It looks great, so please go and upvote it!
– The Gaming Hipster is a blog that focuses on underappreciated gems and left of center gaming, for those who are exhausted with the cookie cutter AAA games out there!
– Geek Charisma is a podcast that is everything geek, with discussions on movies, DVDs, video games, conventions, and comics!
Thank you to everyone who came out to support Game Buoy and the other great podcasts represented on the Podcast X Zone panel!
– Connections and Camaraderie at GaymerX (Gamespot)
– Phil’s GaymerX Recap…Memories! (Qoopa Klub)
– Gaymers International: Ricardo and Anthony Go to GaymerX (Destructoid)
Captain Spike has been playing Pikmin 3 for Wii U and he has been playing Team Fortress 2 with Podcast X Zone friends. First Mate Spike has had a chance to dive into the StreetPass Plaza games for 3Ds and shares his thoughts.
SMASH OR TRASH
TRASH: Final Fantasy Isn’t Dying. It’s Already Dead. (Wired)
This article uses an interview a fanservice magazine with Lightning Returns developers about boob jiggle physics to proclaim Final Fantasy officially dead, and focuses entirely on the negative attributes of the franchise.
The team at USgamer hold a roundtable to examine the arguments of the aforementioned Wired article and share their thoughts on the state of the Final Fantasy franchise.
SMASH: The Making Of: Final Fantasy VI (Edge)
This great piece takes a look at the history and development of one of the most celebrated games in the Final Fantasy franchise, Final Fantasy VI.
The Social Links Question of the Week was:
“This week we’re talking about the inaugural edition of the GaymerX convention! Did you attend? What did you think? Would you go again?”
Thanks to everyone for their amazing Podcast X Zone feedback and sharing their thoughts on Episode 33A and Episode 33B! Also, Francisco U. shares yet another amazing Animal Crossing: New Leaf shirt design for Game Buoy!
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Video Game Realness, serving up a weekly dose of gaming chit chat among friends
– Gayme Bar, the podcast that “fills your brain with hours of gay video game commentary”
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about all things online gaming but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, a podcast for the “average gamer”