Game Buoy Podcast Episode 19 – Let’s Talk About [MATURE CONTENT], Baby
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy mateys and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast, your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that may not be on your radar, but definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, January 20, 2013, Captain Spike and his first mate, Slagkick, examine issues relating to adult content in gaming. This episode contains discussions of a sexual nature, so please use discretion when listening.
– Fox News stirs up SWTOR “gay planet” controversy, while GamesIndustry looks at why people are upset.
– Team Fortress 2 characters are confirmed for the PC release of Danica Patrick All Stars Racing Hyper Turbo GO!
– Street Fighter X Mega Man v2.0 is now available, fixing some bugs and adding features and content!
– Disney Infinity is revealed as a Skylanders-inspired game, with price and release details available.
– Not exactly a follow up, but the Podcast Pirates have THQ in their thoughts as the bidding deadline rapidly approaches. Tune in to the next episode of Game Buoy for another follow up.
– A new round of Steam games have been greenlit, most notably the PC release of celebrated indie game La-Mulana.
– Dead Island: Riptide‘s UK special edition will come with a statue of a bloody, bikini-clad, severed female torso.
– Final Fantasy: All The Bravest is released for iOS, causing some people to bemoan the “death” of the Final Fantasy franchise.
– XSEED is bringing Pandora’s Tower to North America this spring.
– The Fire Emblem: Awakening demo is now available on the 3DS eShop, and the special edition 3DS will cost $200.
– The updated 3DS port of Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers hits North America on April 16.
– Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate will be released on March 19 with USB keyboard support.
– After the launch of their new Kickstarter campaign, Gas Powered Games lays off employees due to financial hardships.
– Details emerge for the upcoming Suda51 game, Killer is Dead, as well as the first trailer!
This week, Captain Spike and Slagkick tackle the controversial topic of adult content – specifically, sexual content – in video games. They look at the evolution of adult gaming from Custer’s Revenge to Night Trap to EroGe and the fact that erotic games are all but nonexistent in the Western world. The main talking points are:
Sex as a Weapon
There’s a long history of salaciousness being used as a selling point in all media, why should games be any different? The Podcast Pirates look at exploitative games and controversial games, as well as the Japanese gaming genre of EroGe/hentai games. Special attention is given to the controversy surrounding Night Trap for Sega CD and the infamous Hot Coffee mod for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
Wow, I Can Get Sexual Too.
Captain Spike and Slagkick examine games that use sex and sexuality as a storytelling device, most notably 2011’s surprise hit Catherine – but Persona 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, and the Mass Effect series are highlighted as examples of games that manage to tackle these issues in a mature manner.
Violence, Gore, and the AO Rating
Captain Spike briefly covers the history of the AO rating and how the majority of games rated AO were done so due to the inclusion of adult content or nudity rather than violence.
The Podcast Pirates lighten the mood a bit by sharing their favorite examples of bizarre erotic content in gaming.
– Sex in Games, Five Years After “Hot Coffee” (1UP)
– Who spilled Hot Coffee? (Eurogamer)
– The Top 10 Naughtiest Games of All Time (Seanbaby)
First Mate Slagkick talks about Theatrhythm Final Fantasy and Civilization V. Captain Spike discusses his experiences with Punch-Out!! and Ghosts’n Goblins for 3DS Virtual Console.
READ OF THE WEEK
…is once again being retooled. Game Buoy is passionate about bringing you the best and worst of gaming journalism, but in light of the Read/Reeeeead (or was it Reeeeead/Read?) from last week, it has become clear that this segment needs some “bug fixes” in order to better serve you.
– “#1 Fan of Horde House” @Flaco_Jones loves him some Game Buoy <3
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, an Xbox Live Community Award-winning podcast running 7 years strong
– Theme music by Zelda Reorchestrated
– Email Captain Spike and Slagkick and join in the discussion on Facebook and Twitter