Game Buoy Podcast Episode 13 – Giants of the Japanese Gaming Industry
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Ahoy mateys and welcome to Game Buoy, where Captain Spike and his first mate, Slagkick, bring you gaming news and views that may not be on your radar, but definitely should be!
Iwata-san gave a Q&A following an earnings presentation, and among other things, he discussed the strategy behind delaying some of the titles originally planned for release at Wii U’s launch.
– Aksys and Amazon.com promised to fulfill demand for a pre-order bonus watch for Virtue’s Last Reward, but they fell short and upset fans.
– Ace Attorney 5 will be fully voice acted!
The Podcast Pirates take a look at three major Japanese gaming developers/publishers – Namco Bandai, Capcom, and Konami – at three snapshots in time: 1992, 2002, and the present day. At each point, Captain Spike and Slagkick look at each company’s gaming library in each era as a means of analyzing trends in the Japanese gaming industry. The Podcast Pirates think that one company is doing pretty well, another is extremely successful despite seemingly neglecting some of its IPs (to the chagrin of fans), and the other is a shade of its former self that struggles to create quality games in the modern market. Can you figure out which is which? Listen as the Pirates take you on a time-travel trip, covering the highs and lows of the past twenty years for these three kingpins of the Japanese gaming industry.
Captain Spike talks about picking Disgaea 3 back up and grinding like never before! Then, he joins in first mate Slagkick’s discussion about Assassin’s Creed 3: Liberation, its potential issues with political correctness, and how shocking it is that Ubisoft shipped such a buggy game.
FAREWELLS AND SHOUT OUTS
– Qoopa Klub, a Nintendo-centric LGBT podcast
– Dorked!, a delightful 10-minute audio parfait
– Orange Lounge Radio, where EVERY gamer has a voice
– Nerdgasm Network, the wildest 3 hours of shock jock video game radio
– Horde House, the show about World of Warcraft but NEVER too seriously
– Girls Gone WoW, for a female perspective on the world’s most popular MMO
– Video Game Outsiders, an Xbox Live Community Award-winning podcast running 7 years strong
– Email Captain Spike and Slagkick and join in the discussion on Facebook and Twitter