Ahoy, mateys, and welcome to the Game Buoy podcast – your twice monthly port of call for gaming news and views that maybe aren’t on your radar, but most definitely should be! On this episode, recorded Sunday, May 29, 2016, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss the history of SNK!
– Jakks Pacific has revealed the rest of their 2016 lineup of Nintendo figures.
– Hello Kitty and My Melody costumes are now available in Super Mario Maker.
– Fallout 4 mods are now available on Xbox.
– A Mew distribution is available for Pokemon Trainer Club Subscribers.
– Final Fantasy XIV’s Patch 3.3 is coming on June 7.
– Steins;Gate 0 will be localized this year.
– Yomawari: Night Alone comes to PC and Vita on October 25.
– The StarTropics games are now available on the Wii U Virtual Console in North America.
– Dragon Quest Builders comes west this October.
– Samurai Rising releases on Japanese smartphones on June 2.
– Monster Hunter Stories launches in Japan on October 8 with new amiibo figures.
– Aksys is bringing BlazBlue: Central Fiction to North America.
– Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus is releasing on PC on June 1.
– Heavenstrike Rivals is now available on PC via Steam.
– Dragon Ball Fusions releases in Japan on August 4 alongside a limited edition New 3DS.
– Classic Capcom and SNK games have been added to the PlayStation Now library.
– Koei Tecmo will be announcing a surprise Omega Force game at E3.
– Valkyria Azure Revolution is getting an overhaul to focus more on its strategy RPG elements.
– One Piece: Grand Pirate Colosseum has been announced for 3DS.
– Minecraft is getting a PVP battle mode.
– Skylanders now has a digital trading card game.
DOOM AND GLOOM
– A former Valve employee has filed a $3.1 million wrongful termination lawsuit, stating that the termination was due to her transgender status and standing up for unpaid interns.
– SIFTD’s offices have been robbed, leaving the future of the site uncertain.
– No Man’s Sky has been delayed to August, resulting in death threats.
– Mighty No. 9’s marketing campaign is embarrassing and out of touch.
– The new Mega Man cartoon has been revealed and people are not having it.
– Paradox has pulled a Stellaris mod that makes all the characters white.
– Uncharted 4’s director said they had to ask a sexist focus tester to leave.
– Bringing Yakuza to the West is Still Tricky (Kotaku)
– The Wild Story of TIE Fighter’s Illegal 1994 Pirate Leak (Kotaku)
– That Time I Was Blacklisted by Sega While Editing a Sega Magazine (Eurogamer)
This week, Captain Spike and First Mate Slagkick discuss the history of SNK! From the company’s start as a third party developer to becoming arcade giants, The Podcast Pirates look back on SNK’s near 40-year history and how the company was saved from near disaster, as the company embarks on a new chapter to refocus solely on gaming.
First Mate Slagkick discusses The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask and how it builds upon the successes of Ocarina of Time to create a unique and memorable gaming experience.
RUMOR HAS IT
Captain Spike has been playing Overwatch. First Mate Slagkick has been playing WoW and Hearthstone.
This week, we’re looking at the history of SNK! Which of their games are your favorite?
Great Non-Gaming Shows